Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 29

Thread: Upgrading my gear; help required.

  1. #1
    Member Stephen R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    elmswell, suffolk
    Age
    22
    Posts
    61

    Default Upgrading my gear; help required.

    Hi guys,
    I am looking to update the equipment I use for my photography because the equipment I use now is quite basic and I would like to see my results with some better gear.
    Currently I use a Nikon D50 and telephoto Sigma 400mm which is a manual everything 'classic' my dad brought in 1993 second hand, so we think it was made around the mid 1980's!
    My question is what should I upgrade, I don't mind the manual focus, but i dont like the manual exposure of the lens, or is the camera more important then the lens? My price range is anything around 500-600 although i could stretch to more.
    I havent thought much about a new camera body but my lens thought's include the Sigma 170-500mm F5.6-6.3 DG APO (86mm) (retailling at around 500) although i have heard this is a fairly mediocre lens, the Bigma? 50-500mm F4-6.3 EX DG (86mm) (stretching the budget a bit at 700) and the Tamron AF 200-500 (86mm) at about 600.
    Does anyone have any experience with these lenses and can reccomend either or any experience with a camera body that is likely to help produce better images then the D50?

    Some images with my current gear can be seen at my blog, http://on-firecrestsbirdingblockbuster.blogspot.com/
    Any help gratefully recieved...

  2. #2
    Member Stephen R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    elmswell, suffolk
    Age
    22
    Posts
    61

    Default

    Does that make sense? I am aware that when i write things can come across rather confusing.
    cheers

  3. #3
    user
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Algarve, Portugal
    Posts
    3,384

    Default

    Stephen,

    Do you need to stay with Nikon, or would you consider jumping to Canon? (I can feel John R just about to jump on me any minute!). If you were thinking of going "Canon" I could give you more specific advice.

    Colin

    P.S. Whatever you decide, lens is MUCH more important then body.

  4. #4
    Moderator john robinson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    In the middle of Wyre forest, Worcestershire.
    Age
    75
    Posts
    327

    Default

    Stephen
    I can only talk about Nikon ( nothing else - is there Colin ! ) It 's what you get used to.
    My advice to you in a nutshell is-
    Keep the D50 for now( I and my son both had one and we did some great stuff .!)
    Don't go for the 170- 500 Sigma - get the other one -the 50-500 and a good tripod.. The Tamrons ok though.
    Thats all I can say. ( I have the Sigma 100-300 )for close hide work though.
    Nothing wrong with Canon. They are all pretty much the same in my opinion
    Cheers
    JohnR

  5. #5
    Senior Member Joe stockwell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Andover
    Posts
    531

    Default

    well i can lend a hand with the sigma 170-500 f/5-6.3 getting some good results but you do need some light and a sturdy tripod, it works very well until you use the auto-fucus it hunts way to much, it does look a little wierd at full extention but thats a compramise if you are on a budget that doesnt really matter, some images do take a lot of sharpening but i think thats probably more down to the user than the lens!

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1

    Default sigma lenses

    Hi John just wondered about the sigma 50-500 lens is it a much better lens then the 170-500? And if so what are its advantages? Just asking as i am thinking of switching to this lens. Thanks in advance

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    276

    Default

    Hi,
    Keep the camera (assuming all is well with it), and put your money towards a "better" lens.
    Without appearing rude, if you put this lens on a Nikon D3, I doubt you would get any better results than you are getting now.
    The lens John R has suggested ie 50-500 Sigma is a very fine lens and popular with birders, have a look at some of the other bird sites and you will see many fine images taken by people of differing ability with this lens.
    Another option, s/h, preowned could be the nikkor 80-400/5.6 VR. This lens has a very good image quality, auto metering/focus and has Vib. Reduction. It will also take a kenko 1.4 TC (giving 560/f6.3) and still function in "good" light.
    The downside to this lens is that it is slow to focus, because of the "old fashioned" screw drive focusing mechanism, but if you can cope with a 400 sigma which is all manual, then this should not be a problem for you.
    Hope this is of some small use to you, remember, prorata lenses keep their value better than cameras.
    regards
    Firstlight

  8. #8
    user
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Algarve, Portugal
    Posts
    3,384

    Default

    Thank goodness this is a discussion about Nikon otherwise we might have someone with the initials "KR" going on ad-infinitum about the advantages of the Canon 100-400 zoom over the 400 5.6 prime.

    Most of you might not see the humour here, but I am sure that John R does!

    Colin

    (And, after throwing his rattle out of the BF pram and trouncing off in a huff, "he" is still at it on FM forum )

  9. #9
    Member Stephen R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    elmswell, suffolk
    Age
    22
    Posts
    61

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Colin Key View Post
    Stephen,

    Do you need to stay with Nikon, or would you consider jumping to Canon? (I can feel John R just about to jump on me any minute!). If you were thinking of going "Canon" I could give you more specific advice.

    Colin

    P.S. Whatever you decide, lens is MUCH more important then body.
    Sorry, all my gear is nikon specific and i dont have enough money to jump ship just yet!

    Quote Originally Posted by john robinson View Post
    Keep the D50 for now( I and my son both had one and we did some great stuff .!)
    Don't go for the 170- 500 Sigma - get the other one -the 50-500 and a good tripod.. The Tamrons ok though .
    ok thanks, have you used the 50-500mm with the D50 and if so are the pictures on the internet? i would love to see the results if they are.

    Quote Originally Posted by Firstlight View Post
    Keep the camera (assuming all is well with it), and put your money towards a "better" lens.
    Without appearing rude, if you put this lens on a Nikon D3, I doubt you would get any better results than you are getting now.
    The lens John R has suggested ie 50-500 Sigma is a very fine lens and popular with birders, have a look at some of the other bird sites and you will see many fine images taken by people of differing ability with this lens.
    Another option, s/h, preowned could be the nikkor 80-400/5.6 VR. This lens has a very good image quality, auto metering/focus and has Vib. Reduction. It will also take a kenko 1.4 TC (giving 560/f6.3) and still function in "good" light.
    The downside to this lens is that it is slow to focus, because of the "old fashioned" screw drive focusing mechanism, but if you can cope with a 400 sigma which is all manual, then this should not be a problem for you.
    Hope this is of some small use to you, remember, prorata lenses keep their value better than cameras.
    regards
    Firstlight .
    Another recommendation for the 50-500mm, so looks like this would be the best option then, unless the nikkor 80-400mm is cheaper 2nd hand and better quality? Is there a reputable second hand dealer for camera lenses on the internet?
    Thanks all, this is a lot of help your giving me and i apreciate it all!

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    276

    Talking

    Stephen,
    I should have added that it would be wise to try before you buy!
    I am sure there must be bird snappers where you are, and you will have to try the "hey Mister " approach and ask to look at /hold /put on my camera.
    Make sure it's not me, on the day an Ultra rare arrives, just as I'm about to take the image I get the "hey Mister" call, or you'll get a clip around the ear.
    regards Firstlight.
    Last edited by Firstlight; January 24th, 2008 at 07:11 PM. Reason: wrong name.

Similar Threads

  1. New Camera Gear
    By exeter_uk in forum Photography, Digiscoping, DSLR and Video
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: March 10th, 2010, 06:18 PM
  2. Seabird saving invention snags top Smart Gear prize
    By admin in forum Birding Headlines
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: September 17th, 2009, 07:40 AM
  3. help required
    By Sue Heywood in forum Beginner Bird Identification Q&A
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: April 1st, 2008, 11:28 AM
  4. More help required!
    By Jacqueline Burrell in forum Beginner Bird Identification Q&A
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: December 27th, 2007, 09:25 PM
  5. my gear
    By greenwithensbirder in forum Photography, Digiscoping, DSLR and Video
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: December 15th, 2007, 08:10 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •