Thread: Glaucous-winged Gulls

Default Glaucous-winged Gulls

Went out looking for gulls yesterday around LA and found a couple of interesting flocks at Cabrillo Beach in LA harbor. The sea was very rough from a winter storm and so most gulls were on the harbor side. Highlights were about 20 Mew Gulls, single American Herring Gull and two 1st cycle Glaucous-winged Gulls. A lot of the young Westerns were chasing a tennis ball around the beach trying to eat it and one of the Glaucous-wingeds was very territorial over this ball which was quite entertaining to watch. However, much they tried, none of them could swallow it.

Here's a link to the video that also shows the darker-mantled GW also calling.

Here's also some Caspian Terns

I also attach some video grabs of the two different Glaucous-wingeds (with said tennis ball) and two shots of the adult American Herring Gull.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by AndyB; February 26th, 2008 at 03:38 AM.

Very interesting footage Andy, it's just as well that one of them didn't manage to swallow it!

My uploaded footage is suffering from 'moving lines', can you suggest any reason & cure?
    Dave J

Looking forward to reading the polemic paper:

Birch, A. 2008. Recreational behaviour in the large white-headed gull complex; taxonomic implications of interspecefic variation in ball control. Waterbirds, 28: 30-31.

Dept. of Zoology, University of Cambridge, UK

My website - Neotropical Bird Club -Tropical Forest Research - Punkbirder - Wikiaves

In natural science the principles of truth ought to be confirmed by observation. Carolus Linnaeus

Hi Dave, your video needs to be de-interlaced. I'm assuming your source quicktime, wmv, avi that you uploaded has the same issue? There should be a de-interlace box you can tick when you're making the movie from your editing program. You can do the route and send me your movie and I can de-interlace and make a high res flash file for you to re-upload if you like. Happy to do it. Best, Andy