Hi everyone,

I'm sorry to say that our lower site is likely to have serious flooding from the Meramec today. As of yesterday afternoon, the waters had crossed the railroad tracks and were just about 100 yards away from our facilities. Our birds have been evacuated (which is, understandably, a nerve-wracking experience for them and us) and moved to safety, but the clean-up will likely be tremendous and expensive. The lower site is our hub and critical to the daily operations of the entire sanctuary. Of course, the flood is also having an impact on the wild birds and creatures that call Lone Elk Park their home, which is incredibly sad for us all.

I've posted a blog with a link to video of yesterday's evacuation by local Fox 2 News.

I hope you won't mind if I say that anyone who is able to donate even a tiny amount would be helping us so much in this time of crisis. There is a donation button on the blog (100% safe and secure) or on our website:

Donations are tax-deductible. I apologize for asking for donations and would never do so if it were not a crisis situation! This is the only way I feel I can help right now.

I'll keep you posted on the flood's impact and take pictures as soon as I get get back on site. Please be thinking of us. I hope you are all safe from the waters.