Thread: Mystery bird UK

Default Mystery bird UK

This PM I noticed a bird feeding from my seed tube and I cannot find what it is.

It is the size of a sparrow, light brown with a white collar going round the throat about 5-10mm wide, narrowest at the nape of the neck, it had what appeared to be white cheek feathers a smallish beak, it also had a very dark head (different from body) and appeared very nervous but very hungry, it flew off just as I got my camera out.

I am very new to this hobby so I am sorry if this is a common bird, it is just I have been through the UK birds and cannot find any reference to this colouring or markings, any help would be gratefully received.
    Last edited by policeturner; March 30th, 2008 at 10:05 PM. Reason: Forgot bits and spelling!

Hi policeturner, Reed Bunting?

Keep a look out for it and see if you can get a photo as that will help - it could be an aberrant common species or even an escaped exotic.

Thanks Bobolink44, I will do so. I keep my camera nearby now, just in case, though your photos do show what I think it was, a reed bunting (the third photo, the bright one).

Strange really, I have a place in the broads as well as here in the midlands so will have seen these birds on many occasions, its age you know!

If you're familiar with Reed Buntings and didn't recognise it, it may not have been. As Bobolink44 suggested, could be an aberrant common bird or even an exotic escape.

Thumbs up

Thanks Andy,

I have re-looked at picures of the reed bunting and I think I can now concur that that is what it was. I expect I got a little excited as I have never seen one of these in my garden, a kestrel with a dead blackbird which it ate whilst I watched was exiting enough, I think I will just keep to the tit family and blackbirds etc, peaceful but not likely to get the heart overworking