Thread: Cryptic Troglodytes

Default Cryptic Troglodytes

Hi all

A recent paper by Toews and Irwin in Molecular Ecology (attached) 'Cryptic speciation in a Holarctic passerine revealed by genetic and bioacoustic analyses' has brought to our collective attention the existence of another cryptic species pair. Troglodytes troglodytes pacificus occurs syntopically (ie micro-sympatrically) with T. t. hiemalis, and behaves as a good BSC species. I once wrote a PhD proposal to study the phylogeography of (Winter) Wren which is one of few passerines with a Holarctic distribution and I'm sure that there are many more surprises from molecular studies awaiting us from this species..... Anyone want to pioneer the field identification of the 44 (sub)species.....

Attached Files Attached Files
    Dept. of Zoology, University of Cambridge, UK

My website - Neotropical Bird Club -Tropical Forest Research - Punkbirder - Wikiaves

In natural science the principles of truth ought to be confirmed by observation. — Carolus Linnaeus

Keep the taxonomic updates coming!

It is good to know it was worth exploring a few damp gulleys in California to bag the Pacific Wren a few years ago. I thought shortwings were the new Scytalopus but perhaps I was wrong...

Micro-sympatrically? Now I need to use that more combination more often.

Cheers, alan
    Last edited by alan lewis; May 23rd, 2008 at 08:42 PM. Reason: pitiful spelling mistake!

Outer Hebrides

I wonder how St.Kilda Wren would come up if similar work was done in Europe? It has often been talked about, but no one has taken up the challenge.

A good PhD for someone, and a good money spinner for the boatmen if it came about that all British listers would have to make the trip!

Last edited by Martin Scott; May 23rd, 2008 at 06:23 AM. Reason: spelling