Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pi$$ed as a F@rt!

user

Default Pi$$ed as a F@rt!

Just as a change from bird images, attached is photo of part of a "Strawberry Tree" (Arbutus unedo) in my garden.

This shows the bell-shaped flowers of this Autumn together with the ripening fruit from last year's florescences, going from yellow to red.

This shrub grows wild in the Serra de Monchique, a mountain habitat, and the fruit is collected and fermented before being distilled into the local "hootch" called Medronho. All totally legal (!!?) and the result is Beeeeautiful.

Unfortunately the fires in recent years have destroyed a lot of the bushes and the price of the "good stuff" is now at a premium (50 a bottle) - but still well worth it - just had another shot!!

Colin

It's also the food plant for Two-tailed Pasha caterpillars

user

These are also a great food-plant for many passerines; the fruit are eaten by many species and the over-ripened fruit attract many flies which in turn attract warblers - my bushes are full of Chiffchaff at the moment.

Colin

Thanks for posting this Colin. What a gorgeous looking shrub (and I take your word for the drink). Are these available in the UK for cultivation in the garden?

Peter

Are these available in the UK for cultivation in the garden?
    Yes, any decent nursery should stock it. It is rather fussy about soil conditions, not too easy to grow, though - needs good drainage, no soil compaction, and preferably acidic soil.

It is also native in western Ireland, though not in Britain.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelF View Post
    Yes, any decent nursery should stock it. It is rather fussy about soil conditions, not too easy to grow, though - needs good drainage, no soil compaction, and preferably acidic soil.

It is also native in western Ireland, though not in Britain.
    Thanks Michael. The soil here is clay on chalk. Probably not good for it. I do however grow Rhododendron without any bother within purpose built planters with about 2' of ericaceous compost. Do you think this would be OK? I must admit to liking this plant.

Peter

Dig a blimmin gret hole and fill it with Ericaceus compost and top up annually

Quote Originally Posted by beltonbirder View Post
    Dig a blimmin gret hole and fill it with Ericaceus compost and top up annually
    Thanks. I shall give it a try

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by beltonbirder View Post
    Thanks for that. I have read and saved the web page. Almost got ready to order but - last orders 2004 for delivery 2005. Oh well, I shall look out for them.

Peter