Thread: Mystery Bird

Default Mystery Bird

I have a mystery bird that I need help with. It is in Dartmouth Nova Scotia today, Dec 22/08 and I'm trying to attach a picture. It's larger than a house sparrow and smaller than a starling.
    Thanks
    Chilady
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by chilady; December 22nd, 2008 at 07:31 PM.

Baltimore Oriole, probably an immature (first-winter) male but possibly a female. Unusual for one to be wintering so far north (usually they only winter north to about North Carolina), well worth reporting to your local bird recorder.

Default Mystery Bird

I probably should have mentioned that the beak is black on top and white underneath. The two wing bars are white and prominent. The white eye ring is less prominent. It seems very tame and I have managed to get within 4 feet of it at the feeder (designed to thwart the pigeons).
    Thanks for your thoughts
    Chilady

Hi chilady, I think Michael is correct. At this time of year, any oriole is a rarity, so it's worth eliminating other outrageous but similar-looking possibilities such as a vagrant Bullock's or Streak-backed but your bird looks like a Baltimore Oriole. Nice sighting! You might want to join this yahoo group and report it here:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NS-RBA/summary
    Best, Andy

Hi Andy
    Thanks. I'm working on joining the Nova Scotia group as you suggested. Do you know of anyone in Halifax Metro that might be interested in having a look? She's been here for 2 weeks now, and enjoying some grapes that I put out as well as various seeds. My next door neighbor from N. Carolina says he's never seen a bird like this one. I took another look at the female Baltimore Oriole in Peterson's and I suppose I can be convinced. This one is a lot "rounder" and brighter in apprearance, but that is maybe becaue she's fluffed out to ward off the cold.
    chilady