Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tufted Duck?

Default Tufted Duck?

Hi All

Perhaps I'm being a bit stupid but this bird caught my eye yesterday in Cornwall. I am thinking that it is probably just a first winter male Tufted Duck but a couple of things are confusing me. Firstly, It was the only male of 20 odd that showed brown flanks. Second, I have never seen such uniform brown flanks with such fine vermiculations (also so seemingly unworn in late Feb when they are so brown). Third the short tuft seems to give a peaked head type effect. Several other little features bother me slightly as well: The form of the brown patch at the front, the lack of any brown other than on the flanks and the very unworn tail/tertials?.

Anyone any comments? Am I just being stupid or is this either a late moulting bird or perhaps even a hybrid - if so with what? Is there a hint of white at the base of the bill?

http://surfbirds.com/albums/showphoto.php/photo/7621
    http://surfbirds.com/albums/showphoto.php/photo/7620
    http://surfbirds.com/albums/showphoto.php/photo/7619

Anyone any hints on how I can imbed pictures too??
    Last edited by Odonate; February 23rd, 2009 at 07:19 PM.

user

Hello Odonate,

I find it difficult to see anything other then "Tufty" here, but your photos are lacking a lot of detail. Are you doing any post processing on these? - they are under-exposed and it would be possible to "lift" a lot of detail from the darker parts of the images using "Levels" or "Highlights & Shadows" in Photoshop.

To embed an image you need to have a photo-hosting website (PBase, Photobucket, Flickr, etc) which will assign a unique URL to your images. You can then (when making a post) just click on the "image button" (postcard with mountains and stamp) on the bottom toolbar and copy your URL into the pop-up box.

* Except that I have just done precisely that, and it does not work!! (there appear to be some problems with image display in general on the forum at the moment).

So, here is a link to your image which I have "fiiddled with" and put on my PBase site

http://www.pbase.com/accentor/image/109513655

Colin

To embed an image you need to have a photo-hosting website (PBase, Photobucket, Flickr, etc) which will assign a unique URL to your images
    Since the pics now have a unique URL at surfbirds, this should work:

Edit: Oh well, it didn't!

Hi Colin and Michael F

Thanks for the confirmation that the image embed (imbed was an interesting typo from me!) is not working well.

Colin, as I said I am probably being stupid but this bird just didn't fit with my early Spring Tufted Duck search image. The photo was taken in bad light with a bad camera and the image was only cropped. I still have a lot to learn on image processing!
    Last edited by Odonate; February 23rd, 2009 at 09:56 PM.

Certainly looks odd to me too. The profile of the flank patch has a bit of Ring-necked look to it, maybe a Tufty × Ring-neck hybrid?

Hi all, to embed an image, click on the little yellow box icon and enter the web address of the image. PLEASE NOTE: it should have a .jpg or .gif at the end of the address. If you don't see that, chances are you don't have the actual location of the image, just the page it is on. By the way, this rule of thumb probably also applies for photobucket, flickr etc as well.
    For the pics above, I added them in to Michael's post by going to the album page and right clicking on the image and selecting "copy image location", then going to the forum post, clicking on yellow icon and pasting the image location (just a copy and paste)
    ________
    mflb

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    Hi all, to embed an image, click on the little yellow box icon and enter the web address of the image. PLEASE NOTE: it should have a .jpg or .gif at the end of the address. If you don't see that, chances are you don't have the actual location of the image, just the page it is on.
    I tried that but it did not give me a .jpg address. Could it be a Mac problem??

Hi, for Mac, instead of right clicking on the image, you press ctrl whilst clicking the mouse on the picture and you will get a pop-up and select "copy image address"
    ________
    Ford Landau (Australia)

user

I tried that (am also using a Mac) and can only get this tiny image:

Colin

user

And using my usual method (copying and pasting the URL directly from PBase) produces:

Ahh, it worked this time!!! (but copying the URL from Photobucket still does not work).

Colin