Thread: Ageing of Bonaparte's Gull

Default Ageing of Bonaparte's Gull

I would be interested in any views of the age of the Glamorgan Bonaparte's Gull. I assumed it was an adult but on looking at close-ups of the photos on Birdguides it appears to have some small black marks on the outer primary coverts and a black streak on what appears to be the outer web of P9. According to Gulls (Olsen and Larsson) these are featues seen in 2w.

Regards, Graham

Certainly looks as if 2nd-win is a possibility, but as usual there are complications. Kalev Rattiste gave a talk at recent gull conference at Peterhead in which he showed photos of Common Gulls with dark markings on their alula/primary coverts. None of these birds were however immatures and all were well into adulthood with one bird something like 20 years old (all birds ringed and of known age). I believe he suggested these markings were fake signs of immaturity, which are useful when attracting a mating partner! Perhaps the same applies to Bonaparte's Gull, and also Black-headed Gull? Second-winter Black-headed Gulls can often be picked out by more orangey legs/bill as well the black primary outer webs (attached), but I also have photos of birds which appear adult in every way except the black primary markings.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Old birds trying to look young and virile??

Sounds just like humans!!

Black markings on primary coverts - not nessecarily a sign of immature plumage in gulls, barabensis shows this and some Asian gulls as well. LBBG of known high age can have dark primary covert markings. I had a very good link showing many LBBG's with dark markings on primary coverts. I will try to find it.