Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Photo critique please.

user

MichaelF,

That is not at all bad for a digiscoped shot, especially under those lighting conditions. I have made a couple of adjustments in Photoshop: altered "shadows & highlights" to bring out more detail on the bird's back, increased colour saturation, brightness and contrast slightly, removed some noise with "Neat Image", and slightly sharpened.

There are limits to what you can do to a JPEG (as opposed to a RAW or TIFF image) that has already been "cooked".

When I was digiscoping with my Swaro 'scope and Coolpix 4500 I had both the Swaro DCA (just a tube connecting camera to scope) and that ridiculously overpriced DCB (the swing-away digital camera base) - I gave up with both. I now carry a Panasonic DMC-FX9 for which I have made an adapter (a cut down pill box of the appropriate diameter) which slides over the extended camera lens and I then just hold it up to the scope if I want to take a "record" shot - it produces better images than the Coolpix with Swaro adapters ever did, and takes seconds to set up.

Colin

Quote Originally Posted by exeter_uk View Post
    ...but on your recommendation Neat Image is high on my list of things to buy. This should counteract the noise i can get at higher ISO levels.
    Hi James

A basic version of Neat Image is free to download on the Neat Image website. If you want a more advanced version, pricing details can be found here.

Joe

That is not at all bad for a digiscoped shot, especially under those lighting conditions. I have made a couple of adjustments in Photoshop: altered "shadows & highlights" to bring out more detail on the bird's back, increased colour saturation, brightness and contrast slightly, removed some noise with "Neat Image", and slightly sharpened.
    Thanks! Can see it's slightly different (and better!)

Forgot to mention, the original is larger, I reduced it to 50% height & width so as to be able to get it inside the posting size limit of the forum.

user

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelF View Post
    ..... I reduced it to 50% height & width so as to be able to get it inside the posting size limit of the forum.
    There is no image size or file size limit on this forum.

Is your camera capable of shooting RAW images?

Did you get my PM with my email address - if you ever want to send me a large, original "out of camera" (uncooked) file I will be happy to advise on processing.

Colin

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Ray View Post
    Hi James

A basic version of Neat Image is free to download on the Neat Image website. If you want a more advanced version, pricing details can be found here.

Joe
    Thanks Joe, have downloaded and had a play with it! I have noticed that the demo version only allows me to apply noise reduction to 1024 x 1024 of an image. This would mean to reduce the noise of an entire image, i would have to resize it first, is this a problem?

James

There is no image size or file size limit on this forum.
    Yep, there is: go to the 'Go Advanced' reply, click on 'Manage Attachments', and you'll see the size limits

Is your camera capable of shooting RAW images?
    Not that I know of - but as I said, I don't even know what a raw image is

Did you get my PM with my email address - if you ever want to send me a large, original "out of camera" (uncooked) file I will be happy to advise on processing.
    Yep thanks! You should've had a reply already, did it not arrive??

looks like we need larger upload limits especially for this subforum so just upped it to 5mb and no image size restrictions for jpegs.
    ________
    Landy

user

Quote Originally Posted by exeter_uk View Post
    Thanks Joe, have downloaded and had a play with it! I have noticed that the demo version only allows me to apply noise reduction to 1024 x 1024 of an image. This would mean to reduce the noise of an entire image, i would have to resize it first, is this a problem?

James
    James,

As I recall, the free download is just a trial version to show you what the program is capable of doing - it will not allow you to apply NR to an entire image.

For the price, I reckon it is worth investing in the full version (I only have the "Home" not the "Pro" version).

Colin

user

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelF View Post
    Yep, there is: go to the 'Go Advanced' reply, click on 'Manage Attachments', and you'll see the size limits

Ah, I was thinking of upploading images to the gallery for which there is no restriction

Not that I know of - but as I said, I don't even know what a raw image is

RAW is a large "lossless" file format which contains the maximum amount of digital data and allows much more leeway for processing in Photoshop, etc.

Yep thanks! You should've had a reply already, did it not arrive??

Nope.
    What are you using to process images? (you have probably said elsewhere, but I have forgotten).

Colin

What are you using to process images? (you have probably said elsewhere, but I have forgotten).
    Photoshop (I'm assuming that's what you're asking!)