Thread: Au Revoir to the Parque Ambiental Vilamoura

Default Au Revoir to the Parque Ambiental Vilamoura

I am leaving the Algarve tomorrow after a stay of 5 months. In January of this year I discovered by accident the Parque Ambiental near Vilamoura, and since then it has been my favourite "patch". It truly is an interesting reserve to visit because you just don't know what will turn up.
    One thing I regret and will put right next time is that I did not keep a field diary of what I saw and when, but my photos give me a fairly good record.
    Notable sightings for me on this reserve have been: Purple heron (9 at once), Squacco Heron, Peregrine, Marsh Harrier, Hen Harrier, Booted Eagle, Black-Headed Weaver, Penduline Tit, Reed Bunting, Reed Warbler, Cetti's Warbler, Kingfisher, Siskin, Serin, Corn Bunting, Crested Lark, Bluethroat, Common Waxbill, Woodchat Shrike, Wheatear, White Stork, as well as many commoner birds, and today, finally, a Little Bittern.
    In total during these months in Portugal I have photographed 121 different species of bird.
    It's been a great experience and a steep learing curve for a beginner birder who was also a beginner with a DSLR camera.
    My thanks to all those who have given me help and advice. I hope to be back later this year. Ken

Algarve, Portugal

Hello Ken,

Glad that you enjoyed your stay in Algarve, and it was nice to meet up with you at Ria de Alvor. I hope that you keep in touch with the forum and let us know when you are likely to return.

Um abrašo,