Thread: Spotting scope versus binoculars

Default Spotting scope versus binoculars

If you were going to spend up to 500 US on a new pair of binoculars or on a spotting scope for everyday birding which would you choose? I have a rather inexpensive pair of binoculars and focusing quickly is a big issue. The new binoculars or scope would be used for small trips and backyard watching primarily.

Algarve, Portugal

Hi Dave,

For $500 US you are not going to get a 'scope with anything other than abysmal optical quality, whereas you could get a reasonable binocular. And, if you are look mainly at "backyard" birding, then I would say that bins would be more useful anyway.

I have "top end" bins and 'scope and if I had to do away with one it would always be the 'scope; my bins are almost surgically attached to my person!!

Default scope or bins

Hi Dave, Totally agree with Colin your bins are more important than a cheap scope,$500 spent on a scope would be waisted money.About 25 years ago a friend cleaned my scope(he took it apart & did areally good job).I was without my scope for several months,and it definately improved my birding skills having to rely on bins alone.Obviously there are situations where you need a scope but from what you say you don't need a scope yet.When you do you will need to spend at least double your budget to get something worth looking through all the best Dave and enjoy your birding, Ampelinus

Default Scopes

Thanks - sounds like good advice! I was lured by the high magnification but tried a few scopes today and realized they are worthless without a tripod. Much of my birdwatching would be impossible with a tripod so that helps me as well. Maybe down the road I can add one!