Thread: Unusual flocks of black and white sparrow size birds

Default Unusual flocks of black and white sparrow size birds

Wasn't sure if this is advanced or not, but here goes... I would like some help to identify some birds I've seen out and about in Brum, and I am convinced they are not native birds. I wondered if anyone else had come across them? You'll have to forgive my ignorance if this is a really obvious one, I'm very new to all this!

I first noticed these little guys last christmas, gathered in a HUGE flock in a tree in the middle of Birmingham city centre one evening shortly after dusk.

They not only look different to any birds I've seen, but they behave and sound different. They are very acrobatic and fast, and they have a high pitched twittering a little like a budgie or similar. Also they flock in much bigger groups than tits, wagtails, sparrows or similar.

Since then I've seen them in several other places - parks etc, and this evening a big gang of them were on the feeder in our garden, again at dusk, in the pouring rain.

They are about the size of a sparrow, with a long tail with about three distinctive verticle black and white stripe. Colour is hard to tell really, a bit like a coal tit/ great tit? Grey, black, white, maybe a little yellow or green? Sorry, don't have a photo as it was too grey and rainy to come out well. The most distictive thing is the noise and the way they move and flock together.

Any ideas anyone? I am really intrigued by these little guys, would love to find out more.

Long Tailed Tits

Sounds like Long-tailed Tit. Their calls are distinctive, a high thin 'see-see-see' and another that is a rapid series of little clicks or tuts.

They are usually in groups of about 6-10, and do visit feeders.

But your "huge" flock in a tree in town just after dusk sounds a lot like a roost of Pied Wagtails, which characteristically roost in trees under street lights in the middle of towns. They make a lot of twittering noises, but don't hang off feeders. Long-tailed Tits wouldn't been in a huge flock, or visible after dusk, as they tuck up for bed in the middle of thickets in small groups.

So it sounds like you saw two superficially similar, but different, groups of birds.

These will probably be Pied Wagtails which seem to have a liking for roosts in well-lit areas - around Norwich they are (or have been) in the city centre, out of town retail parks, service stations and Cantley beet factory for example and behave in very much the way you have described The roost in plane trees in Brigg Street (sheltered on 3 sides by 3-4 storey buildings) peaked at nearly 1600 birds in Feb 1999 apparently largely oblivious to the large number of shoppers below (per Justin Lansdell)

David Russell

apparently largely oblivious to the large number of shoppers below
    Not enjoying a bit of target practice?