Thread: Long-toed Stint, northern California

Default Long-toed Stint, northern California

Photos here:
    My field experience with Long-toed Stint is old and limited. But structurally the bird appears at odds for Long-toed Stint no? Certainly appears too long-billed for the average Least (although too long and curved for Long-toed?). I guess I would also expect it to be leggier?

Any thoughts much appreciated.
    Last edited by AndyB; October 26th, 2009 at 05:18 AM.

Default L-T stint

wow... kudos to whoever ID'd this. It's been a while since I've studied LT Stints too. I have to say that except for the slightly long toe, everything else on this bird looks ok for Least. I agree with Andy, the legs don't seem long enough, but photos can be deceiving. would be good to see more photos, perhaps even videos...

I have no doubt this is a least. Apart for the structure which is totally wrong for LT, note also the head pattern - supercilium meeting above the bill, prominent dark lores and no distinct ear-coverts patch.

That would be a Least - yes. Good pic.

I don't know if we should be too dismissive of this bird. Whilst, I don't think it's a Long-toed Stint, there are some features that are interesting and don't appear to be typical for Least Sandpiper. I should also note the finders and observers are extremely good birders with a tremendous amount of Least Sandpiper experience (they're an extremely common shorebird out here). Now I know many great birders have been fooled before and there are plenty of records of mass hallucination but this video by Keith Hansen does show a bird that structurally and behaviourally is at odds with Least Sandpiper:

The bill size and shape and the way the bird is behaving/feeding looking rather long-necked (compared to the typical scrunched, horizontal posture so characteristic of Least) makes me understand why the observers felt they had something different from a Least. Perhaps, it's chosen habitat is forcing it to behave in an odd manner that makes it run around craning its neck and if it was feeding on the shoreline it would blend in with the other Leasts. At the end of the video is some footage of Leasts present nearby. If this video was of a vagrant Least in Europe, for instance, I think there would be some questions raised over its identity.

I'm just wondering if this could be a hybrid...after the Great Knot of the summer, maybe it's time for another unidentifiable Californian shorebird!