I have nearly completed a technical manuscript describing heterochromia in birds and am seeking additional case records from birders. Heterochromia iridis refers to different coloured irides (eyes) in an individual and heterochromia pedalis refers to different coloured legs in an individual. Thus far I have found published reports of heterochromia iridis in four species of birds (domesticated Rock Pigeon, Herring Gull, Thayer's Gull and Brewer's Blackbird) and published reports of heterochromia pedalis in only one bird (domestic chicken). I have scrounged up additional unpublished reports of heterochromia iridis in Herring Gull, Ring-billed Gull and Iceland Gull, and unpublished reports of heterochromia pedalis in Herring Gull, Lesser Black-backed Gull, Ring-billed Gull and Chipping Sparrow. If you have observed or photographed heterochromia in a bird and have not previously contacted me, I would like to include your observation in the manuscript with your permission. I would need to know the species, date, locality and relevant details (colour of irides or legs on each side of the body). Thanks for considering this request.

Floyd Hayes
Hidden Valley Lake, California, USA
E-mail: floyd_hayes@yahoo.com