Thread: Western Turkey in April

Default Western Turkey in April

I am going on holiday in western Turkey during the month of april. We'll be spending a few days in Istanbul and then perhaps traveling down the coast to some other areas. We were planning on visiting some of the big parks and tourist sites, such as Uludağ, Manyas Kuş Cenneti, Gallipoli Peninsula Historical National Park, Kazdagi National Park, and possibly going as far south as Izmir (depending on how much time we have).

Are there any other sites in that part of the country we should consider additionally/instead? Does anyone have any tips on traveling and birding in this area? I am not dreadfully concerned with finding rarities, since this is my first trip to the region and this is not strictly a birding trip, but any tips on good birds to try and see are welcome since my travel plans are still pretty flexible at the moment.

I did read this thread: which I think will be helpful, too.

Thanks in advance!

If you can, you should definitely visit Pamukkale, a geological / archaeological / tourist destination inland and south a bit from Izmir. Late April there are White-throated Robins and Finsch's Wheatears, plus lots of other stuff. The travertines have to be seen to be believed.