Thread: Binocular vision Praying Mantis action.

Default Binocular vision Praying Mantis action.

I once kept Praying Mantids in a vivarium for a year,including a very large,brown female from Ghana,purchased @ the annual coleopterist market @ Kempton Park Race Course.
    Once I put it on a window ledge for close up photography.
    I put a small green nymph Mantid,that was almost dead of a viral infection,three inches away from it.
    For a long time nothing happened,& then the giant suddenly scampered away towards the sunlight @ the window glass,in terror! Then it very slowly crept back sideways,@ rightangles to the nymph,looking sideways with it's huge,globular eyes & raised arms,very menacing; when infront it grabbed the nymph's arms with it's front front,spiked clasping arms,& bit it's jaws out,then ate the head ,then ate it's front clasping arms,then the thorax - abdomen partly eaten,held in one arm like a hamburger,& then tossed away.
    It seems their vision detects movement,so they could ambush one another;or adult Mantids might runaway from each other; but they can recognise a motionless insect & know what species it is.
    I photographed it until the film ran out,just after it pounced.
    Although we can see distance,focus & three dimensions perfectly well with one eye (we've only kept two eyes to retain some sideways vision),perhaps the Mantid does need two (compound) eyes for it to have binocular vision?

Did the large one catch the virus infection from its food?

'Did the big one catch the virus?'
    I don't think so.It laid a big,dry egg sack.eventually died.With a locust it just grabbed in the middle,not bothering with it's teeth,- if it's jumping leg kicked,it bit it off.Might have diferent tactics for a wasp.One nymph grew until the wings just started,then found hanging from one leg from the top. Various leaf beetles can be bred;once tiny fungus beetle;Weevil larvae can be dug from the soil.