Thread: Molt in North American Birds, by Steve N.G. Howell

GA, USA

Default Molt in North American Birds, by Steve N.G. Howell

I just finished my review of Molt in North American Birds. Loved it. As you would imagine, it will be a great resource to learn about molt. It's worth it just for that (perhaps even for birders outside the US and Canada, the region it focuses on). But I was surprised at how interesting and readable it was. Honestly, I was expecting it to be a little tedious and, dare I say it, boring. But there are so many fascinating details in each of the family accounts, I found myself wanting to keep reading more. Highly recommended to non-beginning birders, especially those in North America.
    Grant McCreary

The Birder's Library - Bird book reviews and news

Norfolk, UK

Hi Grant - I've invested in this book too and found it thoroughly readable and absorbing (nor surprising from one of the authors of 'Gulls of the Americas), with well-chosen photos and clear, concise text. On this side of the Atlantic we have 'Moult in Birds', a guide produced by the British Trust for Ornithology (very good, but with text dating back to 1983) and Jenni and Winkler's 'Moult and Ageing in European Passerines' (fantastic but as far as I'm aware long out of print). It's great to have such a wide-ranging treatment as this new book, which covers everything from swans to sparrows. Thoroughly recommended, and sample pages can be viewed on Amazon (search for the title, then click on the 'Look Inside' picture on the left of the screen).