I found a dabbling duck at my local patch which will probably have to be another 'one that got away' but I'm interested in any tips. It was seen in Germany where Garganey are not that scarce, but 31.10 is a late date.
The bird was distant and the light pretty poor.. I attempted digi-scoping/video-scoping.. the result is here:
1. No cream tail-side stripes detected.
2. Bill appeared all dark and relatively long.
3. Tail appears long.
4. 'Ground colour' whitish.
(5. the next day I couldn't find it).
1. Habit of frequently upending (mixed comments in lit. but most against)
2. Facial pattern weak.. can hardly be seen in clip but through the scope it had a weak cheek stripe and loral spot. The feature was inbetween typ. garganey and teal.
Why does this bird show a long whitish flash on the primary (?), a bit like a tongue? I've checked all the books and can't find any pic/photo with a similar feature.
Thanks for any help..