I find it hard to think of birds as individuals, rather than representatives of a species. That's because encounters with most birds are brief. Most likely, we'll never see that particular bird again. Wouldnít it be great to be able to follow a particular bird from birth through fledging, learning how to fly and provide for itself, migration, courtship, and breeding? In The Seasons of the Robin, Don Grussing does just that.

This fictional story tells the story of one American Robinís first year of life, from birth to breeding. It is fiction by necessity, but it is still incredibly insightful and educational. You may know a lot about how a bird lives, or even have extensive first-hand experience studying them, but this book will still be an eye-opener. The insight it gives into a birdís day-to-day life is amazing and includes things that Iíve never even considered before.

The author does an admirable job of reigning in the anthropomorphism. Feelings are attributed to the bird, but only in terms of satisfying instinctual behavior. There is a very fine line here, but to me it was straddled nicely. My biggest issue is that it could be very repetitive. Although I found the story keenly interesting overall, my interest still waned at times.

However, I would still recommend it to those who'd like to get a new perspective on the birds that we see every day.

Full Review of The Seasons of the Robin