Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stone Curlew

user

Default Stone Curlew

I am posting this image of a Stone Curlew taken by "Faisca" and originally published on "Forum Aves" - without his permission, hope he does not mind. This is digiscoped with the Zeiss Diascope 85 T FL and Pentax K20D:

Incredible image, and beautiful composition - it does not get much better than this with a digiscoping set-up.

Well done,

Colin

That's a fantastic image, your right.. it does'nt get much better than that!

Amazing, I was unaware such quality was possible with a digiscoping set-up
    Dan

user

Quote Originally Posted by Danacobius View Post
    Amazing, I was unaware such quality was possible with a digiscoping set-up
    Dan
    Me too Dan after my digiscoping efforts a few years ago. This image looks as though it was taken with top level DSLR and long lens.

I 'take my hat off' to Faisca for his expertise - he is one of the top grade photographers in Portugal.

Colin

awesome! amazing picture! But I bet there was some pretty awesome light to go with it....

The Pentax K20D is a DLSR camera, and I suspect that this photo has been achieved using the Zeiss SLR adaptor (as in my experience very few DLSRs can shoot through a scope eyepiece). This would also explain the quality as the scope is now a prime lens.

If I'm right, then this is not truly digiscoping which is combining a compact digital camera with a scopes eyepiece.

Stunning image though!

user

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Dudley View Post
    The Pentax K20D is a DLSR camera, and I suspect that this photo has been achieved using the Zeiss SLR adaptor (as in my experience very few DLSRs can shoot through a scope eyepiece). This would also explain the quality as the scope is now a prime lens.

If I'm right, then this is not truly digiscoping which is combining a compact digital camera with a scopes eyepiece.

Stunning image though!
    I hear what you say Steve, but digital camera + telescope = digiscoping. I have tried using a Canon DSLR mounted onto my Swaro 80 HD with the 800mm adapter and was very disappointed with the results. Faísca uses a variety of combinations of kit and seems to have mastered them all - Portuguese publications are full of his excellent images.

Colin

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Dudley View Post

Stunning image though!
    "Digiscoping" is defined online as taking a photograph using a digital camera, utilising a telecope instead of a lens, i couldnt find anywhere where it states the eyepiece of the scope must be also used ( except on the Svarowski website, but as they dont seem to do SLR adaptors then they would wouldnt they !! )

Having known Sparky ( Faisca in Portugal ) for several years now, i can probably comment on some aspects of his technique, although Paul Hackett knows far more than I as he and Sparky are very good friends, and also worked together when Paul worked for Zeiss.

Sparky does indeed use a Zeiss SLR adaptor for most of his shots, but its not that which makes his shots so exceptional. A few years ago he was using a Canon 350D and i asked him if he would like to try one of my 1D's on his setup. His reply was quite surprising, but very logical. He stated that the people at Zeiss wanted him to use lower specification of cameras as it showed to all and sundry the capabilities of the Zeiss scope and adaptor, their reasoning being that if people saw he was using a top end SLR it would take away credit from the scope itself.

In my experience most digiscopers get unsatisfactory results due mainly to expectations and lack of knowledge of their equipment, whereas Sparky knows his equipment inside out, but thats not solely where his expertise lies. Sparky adopts techniques used by professional nature photographers, instead of standing at the edge of a field or in a fixed hide, he actively places hides, uses stealth and cover to get closer to his quarry. I am willing to bet that the Stone Curlew image here was taken at less than 15 metres distance, and will be more or less a full frame image, hence the superior quality.
    Last edited by Steve Fletcher; December 14th, 2010 at 08:01 PM.

user

A simple "agree".

Best wishes,

Colin

We'll agree to disagree. I've just personally never heard anyone referring to DSLR/scope combos as digiscoping before.

Digiscoping arrived before DLSR took off and as compact digital cameras were took up and combined with scopes shooting through the eyepiece. For me, using a DLSR with a scope as a prime lens is simply photography, not digiscoping as I, and I'm sure, many digiscopers know and understand it.

From what Steve's says, Sparky uses his setup as a photographer does a prime lens and adopts what most will consider photographic techniques. Birders 'digiscoping' do so as an add on to birding, their scope is primarily a scope to which they can occasionally add a digital compact camera.

SLR (now DSLR) adaptors have been around for donkies year, but very few birders took them up as they didn't want to carry the additional gea, it was cumbersome switching from birding scope, removing the eyepiece, putting on an adaptor, then the camera - whoops - bird gone (you can see why digiscoping took off now - it was far more simple). Julian Balhero was a notable exception in using his Kowa with an SLR adaptor with effective results, but few others persevered.