Thread: live feed to laptop

Default live feed to laptop

Hi folks,

I am new here.

I am hoping one of you will be able to set me straight.

I am in a wheel chair with significant physical constraints. This makes it difficult to spend a lot of time looking through a spotting scope eye piece.

What I would like to do, is to get a live video feed from a digscope set-up into a laptop which would give me a comfortable big picture to watch.

Surprisingly, this has turned out to be more difficult than I thought.

First there is something called a Bushnell Image View, which is a combined spotting scope and camera, but it has only a 2.5 inch led screen, and no possibility of live feed.

Then there are fairly expensive scopes which have eyepiece sockets which can accept the kind of camera/eyepieces used for astronomy. This is a good solution, but more expensive.

What I am hoping to find is a fairly cheap camera with a direct video out functionality and a fairly cheap scope behind which I can reliably mount said camera.

Any suggestions?

Best Regards,

Norfolk, UK

Hi Gordon - welcome to Surfbirds!

Are you talking about a set-up that you could take into the field? One that you could quickly set up in a hide?

I'm sure people would have many suggestions, but my first thought was to pirate one of those 'nest-box cam' kits. The camera itself is weather proofed and they are designed to be laptop compatible. Whether this could be patched into a digiscope setup, and also whether it would give an acceptable image is debatable...

Are there no small video cameras that would serve the purpose?

You might get more sensible advice from Bo Boelens (the Fat Birder), either through the Fat Birder website or through another site he set up which is

HTML Code:
    This was formerly the Disabled Birders Association. Bo is a great bloke and very approachable - he may have a ready-made solution to your problem or at least be able to point you in the right direction!

Good luck

Last edited by Russ Heselden; December 21st, 2010 at 09:12 PM. Reason: Greeting added!

Hi Gordon, many video cameras have an output to a monitor/laptop eg I can use mine to skype with on my laptop (even has a remote to zoom in and out).

In terms of a cheap scope and cheap camera, will leave for others to make suggestions. I imagine this would be a lot of gear to take in to the field, so are you looking for a backyard type set up in which case one of the bird table cameras would probably be easiest: