Unhappy Disgusting

I know it goes on, but words fail me on this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-12159337

Colin

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Key View Post
    I know it goes on, but words fail me on this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-12159337

Colin
    I remember when living there back in 1999 and 2000, there was an Orang-utan used some days at road intersections (in Menteng or Matraman district I think) as an attraction to get a few rupiah off drivers. At first I was taken aback but after a while you normalise some of the crazy things that go on in a place like that and nothing surprises you, so I imagine many locals take a differing view to us over here. The bird market itself was incredible and I saw some unexpected things in there. But then again, life is tough in Jakarta (and Indonesia generally) for a lot of people and change takes time, education and provision of an alternative way to attain a decent standard of living. A wonderful, diverse, intriguing, and at times infuriating, country.

F.
    Last edited by forktail; January 11th, 2011 at 09:12 PM.
    OBC John Peel Awesomeness
    The little things they make me so happy, all I want to do is live by the sea...

We also need to look hard at ourselves and ask why we need to keep animals such as cats, dogs, budgies, rabbits, etc. captive. If it was not for such an attitude the animal trade on an exponential rarity scale would not be so lucrative away from our clean doorsteps.
    Last edited by Andrew Cunningham; January 13th, 2011 at 08:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Cunningham View Post
    We also need to look hard at ourselves and ask why we need to keep animals such as cats, dogs, budgies, rabbits, etc. captive.

And how is Ingrid, these days ....?