Thread: 28 Jan walk around the Oysterbed site

Default 28 Jan walk around the Oysterbed site

It was very cold today, +1C with a sharp, biting easterly wind that pushed the temperature down to about -5C. I wrapped up well and took a walk around the Oysterbed site. > http://www.imageinuk.com/Landscapes/Nature-Reserves/The-Oysterbeds/14084085_2bd5Y

The E5 is a metal bodied camera and it was so cold that the heat was sucked out from my hands. Leather gloves were the order of the day.

I enjoyed the walk and I shall share some of the birds that I saw.

The Kestrel

When I arrived on site, I saw the Kestrel in the field that seperates the Hayling Billy Trail (named after a long gone railway alignment on which the trail is built) and the Oysterbeds.

The bird was resting between hunting. Still very much alert though to what was around it.

Feeling the need for more food, the Kestrel took off again and used the headwind to allow it to hover over an area it had seen movement.

I watched it hunting for several minutes then it was off, flying away from me and diving like a stone.
    I followed it to see if it had caught prey and sure enough, it had caught a rodent which it took to a tree-top.

Disturbed on seeing me approach, it took off again carrying the rodent, to a quiet spot to feed.

I will post some more images in this thread shortly when I have processed them.

Default The Blue and Long-tailed tits

Walking along the Hayling Billy Trail, a mixed flock of Blue and long tailed tits were foraging in the shrubbery. At this time of the year, it is quite normal for this mixture of birds to be hunting together. They move very swiftly from branch to branch and it can be quite a challenge to capture images of them.

Long-tailed Tit

Blue Tit

More to follow
    Last edited by PeterD; January 29th, 2011 at 09:14 AM. Reason: Replace duplicate image

Default Final Images

Brent Goose

The lagoon area at the oysterbeds was relatively quiet as it was still low tide in the harbour. A group of four Brent geese were swimming in the lagoon. One of which is in the image below.

Oystercatchers

I woke this bird from its slumbers on the sheltered side of South Island in the Oysterbed lagoon.

These birds are largely resident in the harbour all year. Their numbers swell in the winter months with visitors. Two pairs of these bred on the oysterbed islands last year with one pair successfully fledging two chicks. Unlike most birds, the juveniles will stay with their parents for 6-8 months after fledging.

Well, I hope you enjoy the images. I saw many more birds but thought these would have been of particular interest to you.

Comments etc welcome as always.

PS. I note I have duplicated an image in my second post. I shall correct that shortly.