Thread: Bird nest next to my air conditioner -- will it hurt them to turn it on?

Default Bird nest next to my air conditioner -- will it hurt them to turn it on?

Hi. I hope someone can help, I haven't been able to find an answer for this. Birds have built a nest on the window ledge right next to my window air conditioning unit. I can't see if there are any eggs inside, but there are two birds there all the time -- calling out and flying about. It's getting hot here and I'd like to turn the unit on, but I'm afraid of hurting the birds, the nest, the eggs, and eventually the baby birds. Does anyone know if the sound and/or heat of the a.c. unit will hurt them? If so, I won't turn it on. (Does anyone know how long it takes for eggs to hatch and then baby birds to leave -- when might I be able to turn it on?) Thanks so much for any help -- I don't want to do anything to hurt the birds.

Default Bird nest update -- baby birds inside!

I took a picture using a telephoto lens to see if I could see what was inside, and there are baby birds! (I can't figure out how to include the photo -- their mouths are open for food, but their eyes aren't open yet.) So now I'm even more anxious about turning on the air conditioner. How long will it take these babies to grow and leave the nest? (I'm guessing they're wrens, or maybe robins?) Thanks!!!

user

Quote Originally Posted by scampernanny View Post
    I took a picture using a telephoto lens to see if I could see what was inside, and there are baby birds! (I can't figure out how to include the photo -- their mouths are open for food, but their eyes aren't open yet.) So now I'm even more anxious about turning on the air conditioner. How long will it take these babies to grow and leave the nest? (I'm guessing they're wrens, or maybe robins?) Thanks!!!
    Robins fledge (leave) the nest at 2 weeks of age, wrens take 18 days.