Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lesvos 2012

Default Lesvos 2012

Increasingly folk are asking me about the financial problems in Greece and how they might impact on us in Lesvos next spring.

I've been discussing this with quite a few folk on Lesvos over the last months. All my friends in the hotels, tavernas and other tourist related areas are rightly worried, but, they are very keen to keep the message positive to visitors - Lesvos is open next spring and prices that the locals control will not be that different to 2011.

Tsalis Car Hire have already told me that they are keeping their rates unchanged from this year for 2012, and don't forget you get 15% off when you mention Lesvos Birding! (prices on the Lesvos Birding website).

Hotels have already set their prices and most are the same as 2011 (as can be seen with the Thomas Cook package prices). Tavernas are unlikely to hike their prices up for the sake of it and risk pushing customers away.

Petrol remains the main thing out of the locals control and all the signs are that the Greek government are likely to continue to increase tax on easy targets such as fuel (sounds familiar doesn't it). But for just a week I suspect most of us wont notice much difference given the high price we are used to in the UK. I probably have one of the largest fuel bills of any spring visitor with four weeks of day trips around the island, and I'm not budgeting on seeing that much of a difference even over four weeks.

The first summer migrants beginning to arrive on Lesvos including the first Glossy Ibis today. Updates as usual at www.lesvosbirding.com.

I've started to add more updates to the Lesvos Birding website. Current one includes some news on water levels and a few more spring migrants trickling in. Polichnitos Saltpans is still the only site being covered until birders arrive next month.

The first birders I know of arrive on 3 Apr, with the first tour group from the 15 Apr and the first UK charter flight on the 21 Apr. I'll continue to add news updates to the website when I hear from folk on the island until I get out there on 21 Apr.

Migrants still only trickling in through the east of the island (the only areas I'm getting records from at present) - see www.lesvosbirding.com for continued updates. I'll aim to add any new sightings daily from now on.

Water levels are OK. Season pools in many areas but we need more rain in coming weeks to keep them topped up for the main arrival of birders from 21 April. I know there's been some significant rainfall the last couple of days.

I've just spoken to Thomas Cook and they tell me both the 21 April and 28 April early spring birder flights are now full. That's great news and a great response from you guys.

Because of this good response they've already scheduled flights/packages for the respective weeks in 2013 (20 Apr and 27 Apr) which is also great news as it secures our early spring flights for at least one more year. The message is simple from TC - fill one years flights and they'll put them on the following year.

If you're coming out to Lesvos this spring, news sharing info on the Lesvos Birding website here.

Late news today of a Menetries's Warbler on the island on 12 April. I'll let you know more if and when there is anything else to know!

My scheduled day trip on 17 May (Kavaki, North Coast, etc) is the only trip not to fill, so I have changed the destination and search emphasis and this will now be a dedicated Olive-tree Warbler day plus Kalloni wetlands sites. For further info see here.

Day 5 of the main Lesvos season (and day 5 of my 28-day stay here this year). Sorry I've been unable to post here until now but days already long (0700 - 0000+ most days), but I post daily sightings updates on the Lesvos Birding website each evening around 1000 GMT for you to enjoy.

Clear skies with light to moderate southerlies persist and whilst we have a few new birds coming in (Roller and Icterine Warbler new today), many birds shipping out and the feeling is most birds going straight over. Good arrival of waders this afternoon inc. 800 Ruff - I've never seen such a large flock!

Baillon's Crake has been a start bird and the Pygmy Cormorants at Dipi Larisos have attracted a steady stream of admirers - not many folk venture back east to this site so maybe it will be covered more in the future too - it deserves more attention.

Just waiting for it to happen now!

Wow! What a day. I wasnt really looking forward tothe day over breakfast after only a couple of hours kip last night (dont ask me why), but a Dalmatian Pelican after brekky, followed by locating the Kruper's Nuthatch nest at Achladeri, a couple of Pygmy Cormorants, and a tern-fest to end the day at Kalloni pans, who needs sleep!

Others saw Golden and Lesser Spotted Eagles today, plus the Baillon's Crake is still in residence and a calling Spotted Crake outside the hotels this evening - great stuff!

Daily update now on the Lesvos Birding website.