Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ID Please

user

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelF View Post
    Hi OWW,

Sorry, but . . .
    . . . these two just don't fit together - Wren has a short tail, so your bird, whatever it is, can't have a long tail, and be shorter-tailed than a Wren, at the same time
    Quote Originally Posted by greenwithensbirder View Post
    i think you missed the main part of the id........ nightingale has been mentioned twice

given the description,nightingale can be ruled out due to range at this time of year,what about rufous tailed robin or siberian blue robin
    As rare as it is, it did look quite like a rufous tailed robin but wasn't one I think it's safe to say.

You've discounted Dunnock I suppose?

user

Quote Originally Posted by appleton.dave View Post
    I'm glad to see you're at last telling us what you actually saw and not just posting an unidentifiable photo! Well done for that!

As you get more experienced you will learn to pick out which features are relevant and in the meantime you won't get an ID for everything. The shape of the bill is often a good one to note, for example - that can help rule out whole families of birds. You'll also find that your descriptions become more accurate.

What was it doing? Was it on the ground, or in a tree or on a fence post? Was it feeding - if so how - and what on? If it was just perched, was its body held horizontally like a Wagtail or upright? Was it still (apart from wagging its tail) or was it moving around? Did you hear it?

So far the description fits Blackbird best - they pump their tails up and down and, compared to most other brown garden birds they have longish tails (assuming it was long, despite the contradiction Michael pointed out). The underparts are very variable on female Blackbirds - some are much less spotty than others. Certainly the description doesn't match Nightingale which, as you've realised, would in any case not be a possibility. If it was definitely plain brown with no streaking on the upperparts or wing bars or other distinct plumage features, then there really isn't much else in the frame apart from Blackbird. But I guess that depends on how good a view you got - if it might have been better marked but you didn't have adequate views to see the markings then the possibilities are much wider.
    The bird was sitting on top of the shed wagging it's tail up and down. It was silent, so I didn't get to hear it. It moved about slightly taking a few steps up and down across the shed. I saw it fly off too, it was quick indeed seeming all brown in flight. If I'd seen it in flight only I would of thought wren but there is no way it was a wren with such a long tail.

user

Quote Originally Posted by Firecrest15 View Post
    You've discounted Dunnock I suppose?
    Yeh, no purple whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by Old World Warbler View Post
    Yeh, no purple whatsoever.

are dunnocks purple??? if so then your descriptions leave a lot to be desired. have you tried birdforum??
    regards darrell j prest

user

I was referring to the purpley grey fronts the ones I see anyway have. The tail was much much longer than a dunnocks, I can't think what it was!

are dunnocks purple??? if so then your descriptions leave a lot to be desired. have you tried birdforum??
    Actually, yes they do often look slightly purplish / blue-grey, compared to the warmer tones of other brown birds.

user

have you tried birdforum??
    Last time I posted on Birdforum, not about this bird, I received answers unrelated to my post and answers insulting my lack of knowledge when I posted up birds (to the people who replied) that we're easily identifiable when one of the 'experts' had got the ID wrong!!

Quote Originally Posted by Old World Warbler View Post
    The bird was sitting on top of the shed wagging it's tail up and down. It was silent, so I didn't get to hear it. It moved about slightly taking a few steps up and down across the shed. I saw it fly off too, it was quick indeed seeming all brown in flight. If I'd seen it in flight only I would of thought wren but there is no way it was a wren with such a long tail.
    Behaviour sounds a lot like Blackbird, description of the physical appearance fits Blackbird better than anything else. Really not much else it can be unless the description is way off the mark.

so to summarise

'It was all brown, slightly larger than a robin. Quite compact in its body shape and had a paler (Light brownish) chest. I didn't think it was a wren because the tail was Longer, about the length of the body. The bird kept wagging its long brown tail up and down. The bird had a eye stripe that seemed darker than the brown head but it could have just been shadow. I saw it fly off, it had fast wingbeats flapping them at least twice a second.'

'My bird had a really long tail that was brown and the chest was a smooth pale brown no spots at all. It was just like a nightingale'

'the bird I saw had a smooth brown chest, no spots whatsoever or patterning just brown, same with the back of the bird. The tail was too short for a wren. My birds tail was about the length of its actual body. I guess I will never know what it is but am bound to see a bird identical to it as I go out birding more often. '

'Sorry I meant too long for a wren.'

'The bird was sitting on top of the shed wagging it's tail up and down. It was silent, so I didn't get to hear it. It moved about slightly taking a few steps up and down across the shed. I saw it fly off too, it was quick indeed seeming all brown in flight. If I'd seen it in flight only I would of thought wren but there is no way it was a wren with such a long tail.'

blackbirds are 23 to 30 cm in length
    wrens are 9 to 10 cm in length

blackbird/wren wren/blackbird???????????

father ted sums it up brilliant

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vbd3E6tK2U
    regards darrell j prest