Surfbirds - Email archive

[Back to list]

Pennsylvania Birds

- pabirds@list.audubon.org

 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162

[PABIRDS] Central PA Birdline for 6.5.2014 - Mark Mcconaughy - 2014-06-04 19:28:55

- RBA
 * Pennsylvania
 * Central Pennsylvania
 * June 5, 2014
 * PACE1406.05
 Bird Highlights
 EURASIAN COLLARED-DOVE (Cumberland Co.)
 MARSH WREN (Tioga Co.)
 DICKCISSEL (Cumberland Co.)
 PINE SISKIN (Centre Co.)
 - Transcript
 Hotline: Central Pennsylvania Birdline
 June 5, 2014
 To Report: (email address filtered)
 Compiler: Mark A. McConaughy
 Coverage: Central Pennsylvania, Susquehanna River Drainage System
 Transcriber: Mark A. McConaughy

 Welcome to Pennsylvania Audubon's Birdline. This Birdline covers sightings made the week prior to Thursday, June 5, 2014.

 ADAMS COUNTY:
 One RED-NECKED GREBE continues to be seen through at least June 2 at Lake Mae (AWi, BP).

 CARBON COUNTY:
 One BLUE GROSBEAK was seen on May 30 near the intersection of LGNC Prairie Grass and Charcoal trails at the Lehigh Gap Nature Center (RR).

 CENTRE COUNTY:
 A PINE SISKIN has been heard calling between May 30 and June 1 south of the intersection of Smithfield Street and Kemmerer Road in State College (CE).

 CUMBERLAND COUNTY:
 A LEAST BITTERN was seen on May 30 at the Mountain Road Marsh in State Game Lands 169 near Newburg (VG).

 One EURASIAN COLLARED-DOVE and 1 DICKCISSEL were seen between May 30 and June 1 along 1420-1499 Center Road (CM, AK, JD, MM, PB, JDu).

 One BLUE GROSBEAK was seen on May 30 along Hunters Road (MM, PB, CM).

 HUNTINGDON COUNTY:
 One SORA was heard calling on May 31 in the Raystown Lake Mitigation Area of State Game Lands 420 (JK).

 LANCASTER COUNTY:
 Two DUNLIN were seen on May 29 in a pasture pool along Mill Creek off of Beechdale Road (SS).

 One BLACK-BELLIED PLOVER and 5 DUNLINS were observed on June 1 at Conejohela Flats (EW, BC).

 LEBANON COUNTY:
 A number of SEMIPALMATED PLOVERS, YELLOWLEGS sp., 1 SEMIPALMATED SANDPIPER, 1 LEAST SANDPIPER and 1 DUNLIN were seen on May 30 at the park along W. Oak Street in Lebanon (AW).

 One YELLOW-BELLIED FLYCATCHER was observed o May 30 off of Swopes Road in State Game Lands 80 (TB).

 LYCOMING COUNTY:
 Two PEREGRINE FALCONS were seen on June 2 at the Muncy Boat Launch (DB).

 MIFFLIN COUNTY:
 The pair of BLUE GROSBEAKS continued to be seen through at least June 3 at the Loren Yoder Farm that is the first farm on the right past the intersection of Wills and Front Mountain Roads (JK, ASw, SSw, CK).

 SUSQUEHANNA COUNTY:
 One RED-THROATED LOON was seen on May 28 at Big Elk Lake (JH).

 TIOGA COUNTY:
 Up to 2 MARSH WRENS were seen between May 30 and June 1 at the north end of The Muck (LS).

 CLOSING ANNOUNCEMENTS:
 If you miss the usual Thursday postings of the Central PA Birdline on BIRDEAST and PABIRDS, I will also be posting it on my page web site at:
http://people.delphiforums.com/MCCONAUGHY/currentbl.htm

 *PORC = Pennsylvania Ornithological Record Committee. Rare bird sightings should be documented with written descriptions and photographs whenever possible and sent to PORC for review. To submit a report to PORC go to this link:
http://www.pabirds.org/records/

 The following people have contributed to this report: Paul Banks, Jr. (PB), Timothy Becker (TB), David Brown (DB), Bruce Carl (BC), Jarrod Derr (JD), Jim Dunn (JDu), Carl Engstrom (CE), Vern Gauthier (VG), John Hand (JH), Chad Kauffman (CK), Jon Kauffman (JK), Andy Keister (AK), Alex Lamoreaux (AL), Chris Markiewicz (CM), Mark Markiewicz (MM), Bonita Portzline (BP), Rich Rehrig (RR), Stan Stahl (SS), Lisa Sumner (LS), Amos Swarey (ASw), Stephen Swarey (SSw), Alan Wells (AW), Andy Wilson (AWi) and Eric Witmer (EW). I apologize if I have misspelled their names and I will also refrain from naming that person on request.
-End Transcript
 Mark A. McConaughy      (email address filtered)
 Bushy Run Battlefield
 P.O. Box 486
 Harrison City, PA 15636-0468      (724) 527-5585 x103

[PABIRDS] House Wren - Dick - 2014-06-04 18:55:57

Thanks to all of you who responded to the house wren problem
Dick Byers

Re: [PABIRDS] House wren problems - Herb Flavell - 2014-06-04 17:58:14

I wonder if color makes a difference. I have 2 black PVC  pipe nests that
are both used by House Wrens. They don’t seem to bother the Tree Swallows
that use the green PVC or Folgers nests. One nest is fastened to the end of
the back deck about 12 feet off the ground. Last year my son went to fill
the back deck feeders and got hit in the back of the head by the female. I
guess she thought he was after her nest. After he filled the feeders he went
around the other end of the house not wanting another hit in the head. I'm
going broke filling the front deck feeders. They eat 3 pounds A DAY in seed.
Herb Flavell. Flavell's Bonnie Dell Farm, Susquehanna County