Surfbirds - Email archive

[Back to list]

Pennsylvania Birds

- pabirds@list.audubon.org

 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99

[PABIRDS] Warren Warblers - Ellwood Meyers - 2015-04-28 13:07:13

Black-throated Green Warbler - Anders Run Natural Area, IrvineYellow-throated Warbler - Newbold Estate Site, IrvineNorthern Parula - Newbold Estate Site, Irvine
All were singing males.

Ellwood Meyers
North Warren, PA 16365
(email address filtered)

[PABIRDS] Warblers, Downtown Pittsburgh, Allegheny County - Matt Webb - 2015-04-28 12:08:47

Hey all,

This morning at about 6:25AM, while beginning a BirdSafe Pittsburgh route,
I saw two Yellow-rumped Warblers fly over the parkway (376) toward the
Monongahela River from behind the PNC Firstside building at Grant St.  Also
for the past two mornings around this time I have heard Yellow Warblers
singing in the trees across the parkway along the river.

Luckily, I have not found either one on a BirdSafe PGH route as of yet...
but they are here!

Let's see what comes in tonight and through the weekend with the more
promising winds!

Good Birding!
Matt Webb
Pittsburgh, PA

[PABIRDS] Bank Swallow allegheny county - Matthew Juskowich - 2015-04-28 11:38:28

I went back down to the McKees Rock marina for lunch. The hen lesser scaup continues. There is now 4 DC cormorants and 4 Ring billed gulls. I also got my lifer!!! Bank swallow there. It was perched on a wire just above the sandbar. Matthew juskowich allegheny county

[PABIRDS] Warbling vireos, Pittsburgh, Allegheny - (email address filtered) - 2015-04-28 11:35:58

This morning's first of year bird (to me) were the plentiful warbling vireos along the trail that passes the Hays Bald Eagle Viewing area.

My complete list is:
2015-04-28 09:30
Three Rivers Heritage Trail--Hays
    4    Canada Goose
    2    Turkey Vulture
    1    Bald Eagle
    3    Mourning Dove
    1    Northern Flicker
    1    American Kestrel
    7    Warbling Vireo
    4    Blue Jay
    1    American Crow
    2    Northern Rough-winged Swallow
    4    Carolina Chickadee
    1    Tufted Titmouse
    3    Carolina Wren
    3    Ruby-crowned Kinglet
    10    American Robin
    1    Northern Mockingbird
    1    Nashville Warbler
    4    Yellow Warbler
    8    Song Sparrow
    4    Northern Cardinal
    4    Red-winged Blackbird
    2    Brown-headed Cowbird
    5    American Goldfinch

Kate St. John
www.wqed.org/birdblog
(please excuse auto-correct typos)

[PABIRDS] Barn Swallow -- Frick Park, Pittsburgh, Allegheny County -- Apr 28, 2015 - Daniel E. Weeks - 2015-04-28 11:25:09

While I failed to find any warblers this morning in Frick Park, I was happy to see my first Barn Swallow of the year in Frick Park.

And of course it is always a joy to see the Blue-gray Gnatcatcher, who came pretty close today but moved too fast for me to get a photograph.

Good birding,
Dan Weeks, Pittsburgh, Allegheny County

Apr 28, 2015
Frick Park, Pittsburgh, Allegheny County
Traveling
1.5 miles
38 Minutes
Observers: 1
All birds reported? Yes
Comments: Birding by bicycle in the Riverview hill area near the Blue slide entrance of Frick Park, Pittsburgh, Allegheny County. Start time:  8:09 AM. Observer: Dan Weeks, Pittsburgh, Allegheny County.

1 Downy Woodpecker
1 Blue Jay
1 Barn Swallow -- FOY
4 Carolina Chickadee
1 Tufted Titmouse
1 Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
2 Ruby-crowned Kinglet
5 American Robin
1 Eastern Towhee
1 Song Sparrow
2 Northern Cardinal
1 Common Grackle
1 Brown-headed Cowbird

[PABIRDS] Pileated Woodpecker, Hershey, Dauphin Cnty - George Kurie - 2015-04-28 07:54:39

8:30 a.m. - Hershey - A beautiful Male Pileated Woodpecker was at a suet
feeder.

--

George Kurie
(email address filtered)

Re: [PABIRDS] Eagle shooting (Schuylkill/Carbon Co.) - Herb Flavell - 2015-04-28 07:36:53

I grew up in NJ in the 30s and 40s. During that time there was a $3 or $5
bounty on hawks. Their thinking was that it saved the state stocked
Pheasants and rabbits and other birds that the state stocked like Quail and
Grouse. There was also a bounty on red and gray fox. at the time. I gave up
hunting when I started working for the USPOD (USPS)in the 50s so I don’t
know when the bounty was stopped. During the 40s as kids we shot birds also.
The bounty on them was 10 cents each from the farmers whose fields they
raided. The feeling then was what was more important feeding the troops
fighting the Germans and Japanese or the birds. I remember shooting into
flocks of thousands of birds. Starlings, Blackbirds and Grackles. With each
shot 2,3 or more birds fell. Then you picked them up and bought them to the
farmer for your bounty money. At dusk every night big flocks of thousands of
birds would fly south from all the farms in Paramus and other farm areas in
NJ to land and spend the night on the cat tails and fox tails in the
Hackensack, Moonachie,Wood-Ridge, Carlstadt,East Rutherford, Lyndhurst,North
Arlington and Kearny meadows. That gives you an idea how big the meadows
used to be. I made $700 a year for 5 or 6 years trapping muskrats and
selling the skins for $1 each so that ladies could wear a Muskrat coat.
Herb Flavell, Gods Knob, Milk Can Corners, Susquehanna County.

From: (email address filtered)
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2015 13:10:59 -0400
Subject: [BucksCoBirders] EASTERN Willet?? - Peace Valley Park 4/21/2015

All,
Yesterday, I had a Willet fly through my scope field of view at over a mile away. It finally landed about a mile away but I couldn't make out any details. I flew around the lake in the car to get nearer to the spot. I was able to get to it. It played hide and seek behind the shoreline bank. However, I got a few pictures from about a hundred feet away before it was out of view behind the bank for several minutes and then flew off to the EAST calling. The whole time from first spotting it to it flying off was likely less than a half hour. I could not relocate it despite searching, including adjacent plowed fields. Water levels were high on the lake providing almost no good shorebird spots.

I assumed it would be a Western Willet migrant even though I thought it wasn't what I could remember it should look like. When I checked Sibley, it was apparent that the bird matched the Eastern Willet, and the pictures support that conclusion I think. I think the bill structure also matches eastern. Here is a link to the Flickr pix (4)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/bcb-oldcoot/16613030273/in/photostream/

I am looking for comments on whether my conclusion is correct and whether anyone knows the status of Eastern Willet in PA. I had been told that only Western Willet was likely to have been seen in PA. The coastal nature of E. Willet would make it very unlikely here. The stormy weather and front of the night before presumably was a factor. This is the first sighting of Willet at Peace Valley and one of very few in the county to my knowledge.

Thanks,
August Mirabella
North Wales, PA

Re: [PABIRDS] Eagle shooting (Schuylkill/Carbon Co.) - Kathy Clark - 2015-04-27 23:24:59

[...]

[PABIRDS] Leucistic pine siskin, catbird -- Cumberland County - reeser - 2015-04-27 23:11:58

The leucistic pine siskin reappeared on Saturday 4/25/15, or another one
just like the one we were seeing a few weeks ago. This bird is basically
cream colored all over with some very pale streaking and with the yellow
wing markings. We've been seeing pine siskins regularly, they've been
cleaning out the thistle feeder daily along with a few bright yellow
goldfinches.

A catbird also appeared for the first time this year on Saturday. And we
are seeing a few chipping sparrows. Still have juncos and white throated
sparrows.

Ellen
Cumberland County, PA

[PABIRDS] Lake Ontelaunee (IBA), Berks, Apr 27, 2015 - Rudolph Keller - 2015-04-27 20:33:47

There have been no rainy fallout conditions, but a few interesting birds
still come and go.

> Lake Ontelaunee (IBA), Berks, US-PA
> Apr 27, 2015 5:00 PM - 5:30 PM
> Protocol: Traveling
> 0.5 mile(s)
> Comments:     Overcast, light NW wind, 60F. West Shore Dr. to West Shore
> bridge.
> 17 species
>
> Canada Goose  6
> Mute Swan  1
> Mallard  2
> Long-tailed Duck  2     Adult male & adult female far out on lake with
> Red-necked Grebes. Smaller bodied than the grebes. Male's long black tail
> and black head with white patch apparent even at great distance. Female
> dark with white hind end and white patch around eye.
> Red-breasted Merganser  12     All in female type plumage. Also here
> yesterday.
> Horned Grebe  2
> Red-necked Grebe  4     Birds resting on water with Long-tailed Ducks,
> which were smaller than the grebes. All had their bills tucked under their
> wings, hiding their cheeks and throats, but based on crown and neck color,
> 2 were in breeding plumage (black crowns and red on necks) and 2 still in
> non-breeding plumage (gray crowns and off-white breasts and necks).
> Double-crested Cormorant  23
> Great Blue Heron  1
> Turkey Vulture  2
> Ring-billed Gull  30
> Mourning Dove  2
> Northern Flicker (Yellow-shafted)  1
> Northern Rough-winged Swallow  4
> Tree Swallow  60
> Barn Swallow  30
> American Robin  2
>
> View this checklist online at
> http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S23099324

Rudy Keller
Boyertown, PA
Berks County

[PABIRDS] HSR: Hawk Mountain Sanctuary (27 Apr 2015) 13 Raptors - Hawkcount.Org Reports - 2015-04-27 20:04:18

Hawk Mountain Sanctuary
Kempton, Pennsylvania, USA
Daily Raptor Counts: Apr 27, 2015

Black Vulture                0             27             37
Turkey Vulture               0             68             78
Unknown Vulture              0              0              0
Mississippi Kite             0              0              0
Osprey                       0             51             52
Bald Eagle                   1             30             42
Northern Harrier             0             12             12
Sharp-shinned Hawk           2             75             89
Cooper's Hawk                1             25             36
Northern Goshawk             0              1              2
Unknown Accipiter            0             16             19
Red-shouldered Hawk          0             10             13
Broad-winged Hawk            5            130            130
Swainson's Hawk              0              0              0
Red-tailed Hawk              4             93            130
Rough-legged Hawk            0              0              0
Unknown Buteo                0             42             45
Golden Eagle                 0              1              5
Unknown Eagle                0              0              0
American Kestrel             0             35             39
Merlin                       0              4              7
Peregrine Falcon             0              1              1
Unknown Falcon               0              4              4
Unknown Raptor               0             36             39

Total:                      13            661            780

Observation start time: 08:00:00
Observation end   time: 14:00:00
Total observation time: 6 hours

Compiler:        Laurie Goodrich

Counters:        Diego Mendez, Gizem Yilmaz

Weather:
Overcast

Raptor Observations:
1 Bald Eagle immature 9:00 non-migrant(westbound9
1 Bald Eagle adult 10:35 non-migrant(westbound)
1 Bald Eagle immature 11:05
1 Bald Eagle immature 1:02 non-migrant(westbound)

Non-raptor Observations:

=======================================================================Report submitted by Laurie Goodrich ((email address filtered))
Hawk Mountain Sanctuary information may be found at:
http://www.hawkmountain.org/

[PABIRDS] Little Gull not at Rochester, photo from Dashields, other stuff - Geoff Malosh - 2015-04-27 19:31:41

I went to Rochester in Beaver County to attempt to relocate the Little Gull
I reported at Dashields Dam earlier today. I found about 30 Bonaparte's
Gulls there, as well as an unexpected (at this date, in sw. Pennsylvania)
flock of 10 male and 4 female Northern Shovelers, but no Little Gull.

The other highlight at Dashields Dam this afternoon was an adult Lesser
Black-backed Gull, establishing the third April record for Allegheny County
for this species. There is also one record in May. I uploaded a photo of the
Little Gull that I managed as the flock it was with quickly flew downriver:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/geoffmalosh/

Here is the full checklist from Dashields today:

And for Rochester: http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S23099104

I had Cliff Swallow(s) at both sites today.

A few other highlights from around western Allegheny Co. this past week...

On April 20 I found an early WOOD THRUSH singing along a roadside in the
Imperial area. It was not in typical Wood Thrush habitat, but it was singing
persistently so I made a recording of it. It was certainly an early migrant
on a stopover based on where it was, and the fact that I have yet to find
another Wood Thrush since, though a few are trickling in now.

The GREAT BLUE HERON colony on Big Sewickley Creek above Leetsdale has up to
35 active nests this year.

Terns have been in very short supply at Dashields this year; one FORSTER'S
that moved though on April 20 was the most recent of just three records so
far. COMMON LOONS have also been quite scarce at Dashields; one late in the
day on April 20 is still the only one of the season at the dam.

A FISH CROW over Sewickley Park April 26 was the first for the park and
quite a surprise. Also at the park that day was the first CERULEAN WARBLER
of the season. AMERICAN REDSTART was there as well from at least the day
before, and BLACK-AND-WHITE WARBLER and NORTHERN PARULA were very actively
singing on the 26th as well.

Good birding,
Geoff

Geoff Malosh | Editor, Pennsylvania Birds
450 Amherst Avenue | Moon Township, PA 15108-2654 | 412.735.3128
(email address filtered) | http://home.earthlink.net/~pomarine/index.html
==========================================================================Pennsylvania Birds is published by the Pennsylvania Society for Ornithology
  Preview the latest issue: http://www.pabirds.org/pabirds/pb_sample.html

[PABIRDS] Frick Today , Allegheny County - Jack E. Solomon - 2015-04-27 19:30:51

At Frick Park, on Riverview Hill:
Yellow-rumped Warbler 2 males
Ruby-crowned Kinglet  6+
Hermit Thrush
Dark-eyed Junco
White-throated Sparrow  several

At Duck Hollow:
Buffered 40+
Horned Grebe 5
Double-crested Cormorant
Barn Swallow
Northern Rough-winged Swallow

Jack Solomon, assisted by Sue Solomon

Re: [PABIRDS] Eagle shooting (Schuylkill/Carbon Co.) - Gerald Kruth - 2015-04-27 19:11:29

Scott,

Disgusting that these dirtballs still exist, and manifest their ilk.
Thanks for reporting this to the general population of birders.

Please give an update if the perptrator is found.

best,

Jerry
Pgh

In a message dated 4/27/2015 3:09:57 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
(email address filtered) writes:

>From the PGC today…

Scott Weidensaul
Schuylkill Haven,  PA

Release SE-01-15
April 27, 2015

For Information  Contact:
Cheryl A.  Trewella
610-926-3136
(email address filtered)

INFORMATION NEEDED ON EAGLE  SHOOTING

READING – The Pennsylvania Game Commission today reported it  is seeking
information about the shooting of a bald eagle outside the town of  Andreas
close to the Schuylkill/Carbon county line.

Game Commission  officials received a call from an individual who reported
hearing a gunshot  and finding an injured eagle Wednesday evening, April 22.
 The eagle died  shortly thereafter.  Wildlife Conservation Officer Joel
Gibble responded  to the scene near the intersection of Germans Road and Stone
Mountain Road,  spoke to the witness and recovered the bird.

“We need the help of the  public to ensure that the person responsible for
this heinous act can be held  accountable,” WCO Gibble said.

Any information regarding this case  should be directed to the Pennsylvania
Game Commission’s Southeast Regional  Office at 610-926-3136.  All
information will be kept  confidential.

Cheryl A. Trewella
Information & Education  Supr.
Southeast Region
253 Snyder Road
Reading, PA  19605
610-926-3136=

[PABIRDS] venango - jerry stanley - 2015-04-27 17:53:28

About 6 PM, 1 little gull (very exciting), 100 horned grebes, & 80 bufflehead at Wyattville Pond.

Jerry Stanley
170 Keith Lane
Franklin PA 16323
(email address filtered)
814-432-4496

[PABIRDS] Beaver Run Reservoir, Westmoreland County, American Avocets - Mark Mcconaughy - 2015-04-27 16:25:15

As my email from my phone indicated, I had six American Avocets at Beaver Run Reservoir at 12:30 PM today.  They were seen from the Route 380 overlook at the dam.  Here are  links to photos of the American Avocets:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y178/McConaughy/BeaverRun/BeaverRun04272015/AmericanAvocets06_zpsutuugmrl.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y178/McConaughy/BeaverRun/BeaverRun04272015/AmericanAvocets07_zps7dxr1dpa.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y178/McConaughy/BeaverRun/BeaverRun04272015/AmericanAvocets01_zps7relcnvd.jpg

I also indicated that there were 16 Bufflehead.  After examinging photos I took, there were at least 19 Bufflehead (diving birds made an exact count difficult).

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y178/McConaughy/BeaverRun/BeaverRun04272015/Bufflehead01_zpsyzgjzfzj.jpg

Also, a photo of 7 of the 8 Horned Grebes:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y178/McConaughy/BeaverRun/BeaverRun04272015/HornedGrebes1Bufflehead01_zpsx0exetih.jpg

Mark A. McConaughy
(email address filtered)

Re: [PABIRDS] York County Snowy Egret - Ted Nichols II - 2015-04-27 16:21:57

Just an FYI... I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the Snowy Egret I
had enjoyed watching for over two hours this afternoon was just dive bombed
by a Bald Eagle and has departed Lake Redman.

A subadult and adult Bald Eagle were circling the lake and the next thing I
saw was the Bald Eagle fly down and the  Snowy Egret gaining height and
heading to the southwest with the Bald Eagle recovering and heading east.

I've made two walks the length of the lake and have not relocated the Snowy
Egret.

Besides the boardwalk area, it had been alternating between there and a
cove across from the closed bridge, but it isn't in either of those places.

Maybe it will return?

Good birding!

Regards,
Ted Nichols II
Annville, Pa. (Lebanon Co.)

[PABIRDS] Indigo Bunting, Siskins, WTSparrows and Juncos and a QUESTION (Ind.co) - Marcy Cunkelman - 2015-04-27 15:34:09

Hi All,
Sure has been an interesting week....snow flurries, temps down to 28 degrees....guess that's why the winter birds are still here....at least 6 Pine Siskins, 15-18 Purple Finches(have them for the summer), a few more females or immatures than males....several Juncos and at least 6-12 White-throated Sparrows...in full song....Had a Singing Y-R Warbler Saturday evening in the garden room...Last night while watching for our hummer who is probably smart enough to wait to show up when the weather warms up, 2 male Pileated WP were in the maple tree right by the house...got some photos thru the window...once I realized they were both males, I wondered if the female was around....and a little late, an adult male Indigo Bunting showed up at the feeders....( was surprised it wasn't on the ebird list for now).

Earlier this week, had a screaming Broad-winged hawk and seems like it was at a possible nest? near the woods edge.....today, a Chipping sparrow bounced off the door out front and watched a Broad-wing come and land on the deck railing above the chippy...tried to get a photo, but it flew off to the tree nearby with another hawk...a Coopers...they were about 8 feet above each other....Are Broadwings more people friendly and don't seem to be near people?  The one the other day, kept flying thru the yard and even over the house...

5 Bluebird eggs in the nestbox by the garden.....NB with Chickadees, Tufted Titmice, Carolina Wrens, a Cardinal's nest by the kitchen window in the barberry, and a Robins nest in the  male blue holly on the other side of the house...might be cold and damp out there, but the birds are saying it's spring...trees are greening up and starting to show color...hard to see in the trees already...

Marcy Cunkelman
Conemaugh Twp. Clarksburg, PA Indiana Co.
(email address filtered)
The whole world is made of miracles, it's just we?re so used to
seeing them we call them ordinary things. ~Hans Christian Andersen

[PABIRDS] Siskins, Juncos, Butler - Glenn Koppel - 2015-04-27 14:46:00

We still have up to 4 Pine Siskins and 2 Dark-eyed Juncos coming to the feeders every day.
Glenn Koppel and Mary Alice (email address filtered), PA

[PABIRDS] Dauphin Co - Rosemary Spreha - 2015-04-27 14:40:09

There was a White-winged Scoter in the Susquehanna River seen from Fort
Hunter at 11 this morning.

In my backyard this morning, there were 5 Pine Siskins at the feeders. Last
day Purple Finch were seen was April 24.

Rosemary Spreha
Harrisburg PA

[PABIRDS] Eagle shooting (Schuylkill/Carbon Co.) - Scott Weidensaul - 2015-04-27 14:09:38

From the PGC today…

[...]

Re: [PABIRDS] York County Snowy Egret - Ted Nichols II - 2015-04-27 14:05:11

Dick Cleary and I just had the SNOWY EGRET right off the boardwalk at Lake
Redman and it flew off, but it just returned.

Palm Warbler, Yellow-rumped Warbler and Yellow Warbler also present.

Regards,
Ted Nichols II
Annville, Pa. (Lebanon Co.)

[PABIRDS] Broadwings, harriers, short-eared owls! - Katie Andrews - 2015-04-27 13:37:24

Posting this on behalf of Dr. Laurie Goodrich.
Just a reminder to all birders...
Hawk Mountain is taking a special interest in nesting locations or nests of
these three species for different reasons.
BROADWINGS! We have a graduate student studying their nesting ecology and
migration and can use locations of nest sites anywhere in PA.  Email me
privately for more information or check
www.hawkmountain.org/broadwing<http://www.hawkmountain.org/broadwing>

Northern Harriers and Short-eared Owls are grassland nesting species that
have been declining in PA. any possible locations or confirmed locations of
nest areas would be great to report to us, so we can keep record of areas
to conserve and monitor for the PA Game Commission and other agencies.
These can be reported to our website
www.hawkmountain.org/farmlandraptors<
http://www.hawkmountain.org/farmlandraptors

Or to eBird if you prefer.

Laurie J. Goodrich, Ph.D.
Director of Long-term Monitoring
Hawk Mountain Acopian Center for Conservation Learning
Hawk Mountain
410 Summer Valley Road
Orwigsburg, PA 17961
570-943-3411 x106
www.hawkmountain.org

[PABIRDS] Little Gull, Allegheny Co, possibly at Rochester Beaver Co now - Geoff Malosh - 2015-04-27 12:28:21
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[PABIRDS] Am. Avocets at Beaver Run Resevoir Westmoreland Co. - Mark McConaughy - 2015-04-27 12:03:12

There are 6 American Avocets, 8 Horned Grebes, 16 Buffleheads, 6 Ruddy Ducks and 4 Canada Geese at Beaver Run Reservior as of 12:30 PM

Mark A McConaughy

Sent from my iPhone

[PABIRDS] Eurasian Collared-Dove and Sora Cumberland County - Vern Gauthier - 2015-04-27 11:40:01

Greetings,
Had a good morning birding with Ted Nichols different locations in western Cumberland County. Highlights were a EURASIAN-COLLARED DOVE north of Newville at 421 Meadows Road. This is the same general area that this species has been found the last 3 or 4 years. We also flushed a SORA at the SGL 169 Mountain Road Marsh. We checked the trail on the Ridge at Meadows but no sign of Winged Warblers, Prairie Warblers or Chats yet. We also checked Elk Hill Road but no Ceruleans were to be found. We did have 4 vireo species this morning, Blue-headed, White-eyed, Yellow-throated, and Warbling. Also had Vesper Sparrow, Savannah Sparrow and Grasshopper Sparrow on Chestnut Road north of Newville.
All the best,
Vern Gauthier
Newville
Cumberland County

[PABIRDS] Scoters and Terns, Moraine SP, Butler - Glenn Koppel - 2015-04-27 11:15:47

This morning at the RT 528 bridge in Moraine State Park, we had a pair of Surf Scoters and 13 Forster's Terns.  Pictures of the scoters are on the PA Birds Facebook photo page.