Surfbirds - Email archive

[Back to list]

Pennsylvania Birds

- pabirds@list.audubon.org

 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176

Re: [PABIRDS] Eurasian Collared-Dove and Dickcissel Cumberland County - Scott Weidensaul - 2014-07-10 08:04:50

The Eurasian collared dove conquest of North America is pretty much a settled fact at this point -- they're common almost everywhere except the Northeast and upper Midwest, and have been found breeding as far northwest as southeastern Alaska. They've also expanded south into almost all of Mexico, including the Yucat?n. In a lot of places, they've almost entirely displaced mourning doves (and ground doves, in the South), but generally only in heavily altered landscapes like towns. Once you're out in the country (at least so far) the native species seem to have the advantage.

  Their distribution in North America reflects an interesting aspect of ECD expansion -- they disperse most strongly to the northwest. That was the case when they started moving out of India and surrounding areas in probably the 16th century, as they moved across Europe in the 20th, and once they were accidentally introduced to the Bahamas and West Indies in the 1960s, after which they jumped to the mainland and expanded rapidly to the northwest.

  Because of that tendency, they've been slower to move northeast, but it's only a matter of time until they are equally ubiquitous here -- with uncertain prospects for mourning doves. The Game Commission just declared ECDs a game bird, not because they want to protect them (quite the contrary) but because they're concerned about mistake killings of mourning doves if there's no laws governing ECD shooting.

  Scott Weidensaul
  Schuylkill Haven, PA

On 07/10/14, Patrick Millar wrote:
I imagine - based on their robust numbers in Europe - that we will be seeing much more of this species in future. Maybe not a House Sparrow or Starling in potential, but they are known survivors / thrivers. Maybe our grandchildren will be mourning the Mourning Dove after the Eurasian Collared Dove coup? (All bad puns intended)
Patrick Millar
Chester County

Re: [PABIRDS] Eurasian Collared-Dove and Dickcissel Cumberland County - Patrick Millar - 2014-07-10 07:32:23

I imagine - based on their robust numbers in Europe - that we will be seeing much more of this species in future.  Maybe not a House Sparrow or Starling in potential, but they are known survivors / thrivers.  Maybe our grandchildren will be mourning the Mourning Dove after the Eurasian Collared Dove coup? (All bad puns intended)

Patrick Millar
Chester County

> On Jul 10, 2014, at 8:08 AM, "Ann C. Pettigrew" <(email address filtered)> wrote:
>
> Interesting,Vern. We are in Ocracoke and there are collared doves everywhere which was not the case a few years ago.
>
> Ann C. Pettigrew, V.M.D.
> York, PA
> (email address filtered)
> www.pbase.com/rook185 (Photographs)
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
>> On Jul 9, 2014, at 7:14 PM, Vern Gauthier <(email address filtered)> wrote:
>>
>> Greetings,
>> Late this afternoon I had 2 EURASIAN COLLARED-DOVES near the intersection of Center Road and 997 north of Newville. This is the same location up to 4 of them have been found since the Migration Count in May. I also I had one singing DICKCESSEL a tenth of a mile south on Center Road at Emerald Valley Farm where up to 3 (2 males and 1 female) have been reported since May 27th. The field has not been mowed so it is a very good chance that they successfully nested at the location.
>> Vern Gauthier
>> Newville

Re: [PABIRDS] Eurasian Collared-Dove and Dickcissel Cumberland County - Ann C. Pettigrew - 2014-07-10 07:08:57

Interesting,Vern. We are in Ocracoke and there are collared doves everywhere which was not the case a few years ago.

Ann C. Pettigrew, V.M.D.
York, PA
(email address filtered)
www.pbase.com/rook185 (Photographs)

Sent from my iPad

On Jul 9, 2014, at 7:14 PM, Vern Gauthier <(email address filtered)> wrote:

> Greetings,
> Late this afternoon I had 2 EURASIAN COLLARED-DOVES near the intersection of Center Road and 997 north of Newville. This is the same location up to 4 of them have been found since the Migration Count in May. I also I had one singing DICKCESSEL a tenth of a mile south on Center Road at Emerald Valley Farm where up to 3 (2 males and 1 female) have been reported since May 27th. The field has not been mowed so it is a very good chance that they successfully nested at the location.
> Vern Gauthier
> Newville

[PABIRDS] Whimbrel, Avocets, Erie Co. - Matt Sabatine - 2014-07-09 19:32:43

I spent an enjoyable few hours this afternoon birding at Gull Point. There was quite a movement of shorebirds along the lake front today--all of the migrant shorebirds I saw arrived during my observation except for a few of the Leasts and the Avocets, the latter of which remained in the exact same place resting for the entire 3 hour period, probably having just arrived before I did. Photos of the Whimbrel and Avocets can be seen at:

Matthew Sabatine
Cambridge Springs, PA

[PABIRDS] Eurasian Collared-Dove and Dickcissel Cumberland County - Vern Gauthier - 2014-07-09 18:14:45

Greetings,
Late this afternoon I had 2 EURASIAN COLLARED-DOVES near the intersection of Center Road and 997 north of Newville. This is the same location up to 4 of them have been found since the Migration Count in May. I also I had one singing DICKCESSEL a tenth of a mile south on Center Road at Emerald Valley Farm where up to 3 (2 males and 1 female) have been reported since May 27th. The field has not been mowed so it is a very good chance that they successfully nested at the location.
Vern Gauthier
Newville

[PABIRDS] Central PA Birdline for 7.10.2014 - Mark Mcconaughy - 2014-07-09 16:06:39

- RBA
 * Pennsylvania
 * Central Pennsylvania
 * July 10, 2014
 * PACE1407.10
 Bird Highlights
 RED-THROATED LOON (Lycoming Co.)
 MARSH WREN (Tioga Co.)
 - Transcript
 Hotline: Central Pennsylvania Birdline
 July 10, 2014
 To Report: (email address filtered)
 Compiler: Mark A. McConaughy
 Coverage: Central Pennsylvania, Susquehanna River Drainage System
 Transcriber: Mark A. McConaughy

 Welcome to Pennsylvania Audubon's Birdline. This Birdline covers sightings made the week prior to Thursday, July 10, 2014.

 LANCASTER COUNTY:
 One YELLOW-BELLIED FLYCATCHER was seen on July 4 at the Octoraro Reservoir (CG).

 One DICKCISSEL was singing between July 4 and 5 along Lakeview Road at Farm Lane east of Kirkwood Pike and south of Kirkwood (DW).

 LUZERNE COUNTY:
 One BLACK TERN was seen on July 5 out on Lake Jean in Ricketts Glen State Park (PB).

 LYCOMING COUNTY:
 One RED-THROATED LOON was seen on July 4 at Rose Valley Lake (JD).

 A MOURNING WARBLER was observed on July 4 along Bodines Road (JD).

 TIOGA COUNTY:
 Two MARSH WRENS were heard on July 6 calling along the Webster Road Rail Trail (LS).

 One MARSH WREN was calling on July 7 from the north end of The Muck (LS).

 CLOSING ANNOUNCEMENTS:
 If you miss the usual Thursday postings of the Central PA Birdline on BIRDEAST and PABIRDS, I will also be posting it on my page web site at:
 http://people.delphiforums.com/MCCONAUGHY/currentbl.htm

 *PORC = Pennsylvania Ornithological Record Committee. Rare bird sightings should be documented with written descriptions and photographs whenever possible and sent to PORC for review. To submit a report to PORC go to this link:
 http://www.pabirds.org/records/

 The following people have contributed to this report: Paul Bernhardt (PB), Jim Dunn (JD), Calton Groff (CG), Lisa Sumner (LS) and Drew Weber (DW). I apologize if I have misspelled their names and I will also refrain from naming that person on request.
-End Transcript
 Mark A. McConaughy      (email address filtered)
 Bushy Run Battlefield
 P.O. Box 486
 Harrison City, PA 15636-0468      (724) 527-5585 x103

Re: [PABIRDS] Potter County trip - Ron Rovansek - 2014-07-09 09:54:10

The trees that are fruiting now include Serviceberry (Juneberry), and cherries, and not much else. I think Rob is right: Serviceberry fits the description. Serviceberry fruit is clustered in loose clusters, and many clusters may have only a few fruits remaining in the tree.

Ron Rovansek
Centre County

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 9, 2014, at 9:45 AM, "Rob Blye" <(email address filtered)> wrote:

> My guess is service berry - Amelanchier spp
>

> Rob Blye
> East Coventry Township
> Chester County, Pennsylvania

Re: [PABIRDS] Potter County trip - Rob Blye - 2014-07-09 08:44:01

[...]

Re: [PABIRDS] Ravens - Berks Count. - Rob Blye - 2014-07-09 08:25:23

Kerry,

Agreed. In the last year, I have seen one raven in Lower Pottsgrove, Montco and one in my yard in rural East Coventry,Chesco. Raven is a fairly common breeder in northern Susquehanna and Bradford counties where we have a cabin. 40 years ago no ravens; today daily ravens heard and frequently seen. While turkey hunting just a daybreak, I came upon 6 ravens sitting on the "Christmas tree" of a well pad squawking, grunting, calling. They watched me carefully but did not leave their roosting spot as I ambled away. Same day I saw a bobcat.