This trip was a self made trip organised by P. J. Dubois (plus 14 other French, 1 Spanish and 1 Belgian birders/ornithologists) with the help of Kan Tengri Mountain Service, Almaty.
May 24, Departure to Almaty.
Flight with KLM, departure from Paris 11:45 a.m., then Amsterdam 2 :05 p.m.
May 25, Arrival to Almaty. Drive to Sogety Valley. Night in Bartoghay Lake Camp.
Arriving Almaty 1:15 a.m. Then hotel. 8 :45 a.m. Explore steppe (with artesian well near Shilik), hills, gorges and small river.
May 26, Visit to the Canyons. Night in Bartogay Lake Camp
Like the last day + Sharyn gorges and vultures colony.
May 27, Drive to Nurly area. Night in Almaty
Return in the Sogety Valley and artesian well. Semi-desert.
May 28, Drive to Kanshengel via Sorulak Lake. Night in Kanshengel Camp.
Rain. Steppe, large lake, 2 artesian wells (migrants traps).
May 29, Drive to Turanga forest near Topar. Night in Kanshengel Camp.
Topar cemetery, river, steppe and forest.
May 30, Drive to Almaty via Tamgaly Tas to Observatory. Night in Observatory.
Steppe, gorges near Karabastau (ancient rock drawings).
May 31, Birding in the mountains. Night in Observatory.
Drive to meteo station (3300 m), and, in the afternoon, to the lake under the observatory.
June 1, Birding in the mountains. Night in Observatory.
Walk in the forest under the observatory.
June 2, Birding in the mountains. Drive to Almaty. Hotel.
Road on foot to the main tarred road.
June 3, Fly to Astana. Birding in steppe. Night at hotel.
Fly with Air Astana then drive to Kurgaldshino area (steppe, Noura river). Stop at the bridge upon the river. Rain.
June 4, Birding in Kurgaldzhino area. Night at hotel.
Return to Kurgaldshino area (lake, steppe, Noura river).
June 5, Birding in forest. Fly to Almaty. Night at hotel.
Drive to Damsa (steppe, agricultural yards, pines forest, lakes) ; Astana rubbish dump. Flight to Almaty.
June 6, Departure home.
Departure 3:55 a.m. ; Amsterdam 6:25 a.m ; Paris Charles-De-Gaulle 9:20 a.m.
May 25: White-crowned Penduline-Tit at nest, Sykes' Warbler, Desert Finch at the artesian well, adult White-tailed Eagle in flight, Long-tailed Shrike in a village, Pied Wheatear, Red-headed Bunting, Grey-necked Bunting on rocks, Hume's Warbler, Greenish Warbler near a small river, nest (with eggs) of Isabelline Shrike, White-capped Bunting in a small gorges, Long-legged Buzzard at nest with 3 young just near the camp !
May 26: numerous Isabelline Wheatears along the road, 1 Saker Falcon, more than 20 Little Kestrels, Rock Sparrow, Pied Wheatear, Red-headed and Grey-necked Bunting on a small hill, a pair of Demoiselle Cranes in the steppe, 1 Barred Warbler, another nest (with 6 eggs) of Isabelline Shrike, a big nest (with 1 adult and 1 young) of Monk Vulture (+ 2 in flight), 3 Himalayan Vultures, a pair of Siberian Chats at the Sharyn gorges and a second year Imperial Eagle on a pylon near the road.
May 27: a family (14 ducklings) of Ruddy Shelducks on Bartoghai Lake, numerous Isabelline Wheatears in the steppe, some Red-headed and Grey-necked Buntings, 2 (pair ?) Daurian Partridges, 1 Hume's Lesser Whitethroat in song, 2 males White-capped Buntings, 4 Chukars in small gorges, 1 Masked Wagtail near a house, approx 55 Black-bellied Sandgrouse (a nest with 3 eggs), 4 Pallas's Sandgrouses, 2 Steppe Grey Shrikes in the steppe near the artesian well in the Sogety Valley.
May 28: some European Rollers and Lesser Grey Shrikes along the road. At the Sorbulak Lake, 2 male Citrine Wagtails, c. Dalmatian Pelicans, 1 Barabas' Gull, 4 Caspian Gulls, some Calandra Larks and c.10,000 pairs of Rose-coloured Starlings ; along the road between the lake and Abjol, 1 Red-footed Falcon, 1 male Pallid Harrier, c.6 Long-legged Buzzards, 1 Booted Eagle, 3 Steppe Eagles, a pair of Desert Wheatears and some Red-headed Buntings; around the Abjol spring (migrant trap 1), 2 Paddyfield Warblers, 1 female Little Bittern, 1 male and 1 female Dark-throated Thrushes (male black throated), numerous Hume's and Greenish Warblers, 3 Barred Warblers, 2 Citrine Wagtails (1 caught by a Hobby !) and some Red-headed Buntings ; spring and farm at Kanshengel (migrant trap 2), 1 Arctic Warbler, 2 Yellow-browed Warblers, 3 Oriental Turtle-Doves, 1 male Pallid Harrier and, like everywhere, some Red-headed Buntings ; near the Kanshengel camp, in the steppe, 1 MacQueen's Bustard, some Bimaculated, Calandra, Swinhoe and Lesser Short-toed Larks.
May 29: Kanshengel camp : MacQueen's Bustard (displaying), Calandra and Bimaculated Larks ; between Kanshengel and Topar : 1 Dalmatian Pelican, 1 Shikra, 4 Great White Egrets, 2 Azure Tits ; at Topar cemetery : c.6 Saxaul Sparrows (1 snake Eryx miliaris) ; Turanga forest, near Topar : Azure Tit (pair at nest), Turkestan Tit (c. 10 pairs), White-winged Woodpecker (4 pairs), 1 Shikra at nest, c.16 Yellow-eyed Pigeons (+ Sousliks and fox).
May 30: Spring and farm at Kanshengel (migrant trap 2) : Blyth's Reed-Warbler, 1 Booted Eagle ; steppe between Kanshengel and Aksuiek : pair of Rufous Scrub-Robin, Desert Warbler, Pallid Harrier (+ very numerous Turtles) ; gorges near Karabastau : Red-headed Buntings (nest with 5 eggs), 3 Monk Vultures, 1 Griffon Vulture, Eastern Rock Nuthatch (pair at nest) ; between Almaty and the Tien Shan : Blue Whistling Thrush (pair at nest).
May 31: near the observatory : Red-mantled Rosefinchs, Red-fronted Serins, White-tailed Rubythroat (2 males in song), some Sulphur-bellied Warblers, Black-throated and Brown Accentors, White-winged Grosbeaks, White-browed Tit-Warbler (2 pairs) ; metro station (3300 m) : Altai Accentor, Hodgson's Mountain-Finch, c.140 (1 group flying) Brandt's Mountain-Finch, Güldenstädt's Redstart, Alpine Chough ; walk along the lake : Ibisbill (pair at nest), Himalayan Snowcock (far), Golden Eagle, Blue-capped Redstart, Songar Tit, Sulphur-bellied, Hume's and Greenish warblers.
June 1: near the observatory : same birds as May 31, but 4 Himalayan Snowcocks and a pair of Sulphur-bellied Warbler building a nest ; walk from the observatory to the dam and the lake by the forest : Blue-capped Redstart, Songar Tit, White-winged Grosbeaks, Oriental Turtle-Dove, Eversmann's Redstart.
June 2: we start to Almaty. En route : Grey-crowned Goldfinch, Songar Tit, Eversmann's Redstart, Nutcracker, 2 Brown Dippers, Blue Whistling Thrush, Monk Vultures, Oriental Turtle Dove.
June 3 steppe between Astana and the Noura River : Pallid Harriers, White-winged and Black (very numerous) Larks, Ferruginous Duck, White-winged Black Tern, Great Black-headed Gulls, 2 Sociable Plovers, 8 Red-footed Falcons, 6 (3 pairs) Demoiselle Cranes, some Booted Warblers, 1 Lanceolated Warbler in song, 1 male Reed Bunting (pyrrhuloides).
June 4: lake near Kurgaldzhino : c.60 Black-winged Pratincoles (colony), 6 Marsh Sandpipers, c.80 White-winged Black Terns (colony), 5 Dalmatian Pelicans, White-winged and Black (very numerous) Larks, 1 Red-necked Grebe ; bridge upon the Noura River : 1 Sociable Plover, 1 Barred Warbler (in song) ; between the bridge and Astana : some Lesser Grey Shrikes, some Red-footed Falcons, numerous Booted Warblers and Black Larks, Siberian Chats (3 pairs), 3 Demoiselle Cranes, 6 Pallid Harriers, 1 Steppe Grey Shrike.
June 5: between Astana and Damsa : c.20 White-winged Black Tern, c.50 Black-winged Pratincoles ; Chortandé Forest near Damsa : at least 5 Pine Buntings (in song), Oriental Turtle Dove, 2 pairs Pallid Harrier, 1 pair Montagu's Harrier, at least 3 Slavonian Grebes, Blyth's Reed-Warbler, 2 Siberian Chiffchaffs in song ; Damsa Lake : 1Whooper Swan (incubating), male Reed Bunting (pyrrhuloides) ; Astana rubbish dump : 2 Caspian Gulls, more than 100 Barabas' Gulls.
This list contains only the species I saw ; other species seen by other group members included White-headed Duck, Lammergeyer, Crane, Oriental Lark, Bohemian Waxwing, Long-tailed Tit, Wallcreeper, etc.
1. Red-necked Grebe Podiceps grisegena. 1, June 4, Kurgalzhino lake.
2. Great Crested Grebe Podiceps cristatus. 3, May 27, Bartoghai lake ; 2, May 29, between Kanshengel and Topar ; 1, June 3, between Astana and Noura bridge ; c. 50, June 5, Dansa lake.
3. Slavonian Grebe Podiceps auritus. At least 3, June 5, small lake near Dansa.
4. Black-necked Grebe Podiceps nigricollis. 1, June 4, Kurgalzhino lake.
5. Cormorant Phalacrocorax carbo sinensis. 3, May 28, Sorbolak lake ; 1, May 29, between Kanshengel and Topar.
6. Dalmatian Pelican Pelecanus crispus. c. 30, May 28, Sorbolak lake ; 1, May 29, between Kanshengel and Topar; 5, June 4, Kurgalzhino lake.
7. Grey Heron Ardea cinerea. 8, May 29, between Kanshengel and Topar ; 1, June 6, between Astana and Dansa.
8. Great White Egret Ardea alba. 4, May 29, between Kanshengel and Topar.
9. Black crowned Night Heron Nycticorax nycticorax. 1 adult, June 4, Noura bridge.
10. Little Bittern Ixobrichus minutus. 1 female, May 28, Abijol spring.
11. Mute Swan Cygnus olor. 1 flying, June 3, between Astana and Noura bridge ; 2, June 4, Kurgalzhino lake.
69. Greenshank Tringa nebularia. 1, May 29, spring near Kanshengel.
70. Green Sandpiper Tringa ochropus. 1, May 29, spring near Kanshengel ; 1, June 3, near Noura bridge.
71. Common Sandpiper Actitis hypoleucos. Pair copulating, May 27, Bartoghai lake ; 1, May, 29, spring near Kanshengel and 1, June 4, Noura bridge.
72. Ruddy Turnstone Arenaria interpres. 1, June 4, Kurgalzhino lake.
73. Red-necked Phalarope Phalaropus lobatus. 2, June 4, Kurgalzhino lake.
74. Little Stint Calidris minuta. 1, May 29, spring near Kanshengel ; c. 12, June 4, Kurgalzhino lake.
75. Temminck's Stint Calidris temminckii. 1, May 25, Bartoghai lake.
76. Curlew Sandpiper Calidris ferruginea. 1, June 4, Kurgalzhino lake.
77. Caspian Gull Larus cachinnans. Only two definite dates - 4, May 28, Sorbolak lake ; 2, June 5, Astana rubbish dump.
78. Barabas' Gull Larus barabensis. The most common gull overall near Astana. > 100, June 5, Astana rubbish dump.
79. Great Black-headed Gull Larus ichthyaetus. Only June 3, between Astana and Noura bridge (c. 15).
80. Black-headed Gull Larus ridibundus. May 25, near Almaty ; May 26, Bartoghai lake ; May 28, Sorbolak lake (c. 10) ; June 3, between Astana and Noura bridge.
81. White-winged Black Tern Chlidonias leucopterus. Common near Astana. c. 80 (breeding birds), June 4, Kurgalzhino lake.
82. Black Tern Chlidonias niger. 5/6, May 29, between Kanshengel and Topar ; 14, June 3, between Astana and Noura bridge and 2 here June 4.
83. Caspian Tern Sterna caspia. 1, June 3, between Astana and Noura bridge.
84. Common Tern Sterna hirundo. Widespread, overall near Astana.
85. Little Tern Sterna albifrons. 1, June 4, Kurgalzhino lake.
86. Pallas's Sandgrouse Syrrhaptes paradoxus. Only near Shilik (4 birds flying in the quasi-desert).
87. Pin-tailed Sandgrouse Pterocles alchata. 1, May 28, Kanshengel camp.
88. Black-bellied Sandgrouse Pterocles orientalis. Common near Shilik and Kanshengel (67, May 27, along the road + nest with 3 eggs)
89. Yellow-eyed Pigeon Columba eversmanni. Only in the Turanga forest near Topar (at least 16, May 29).
90. Woodpigeon Columba palumbus. 1, May 25, artesian well near Shilik.
91. Turtle Dove Streptopelia turtur. Widespread near Almaty.
92. Oriental Turtle-Dove Streptopelia orientalis meena. 3, May 28, spring near Kanshengel ; 2, June 1, in the forest under the observatory ; 2, June 2 near Almaty ; 1, June 5, forest south of Dansa.
93. Collared Dove Streptopelia decaocto. Common in the villages near Almaty.
94. Laughing Dove Streptopelia senegalensis. 2, between Shilik and Borandyasu.
95. Cuckoo Cuculus canorus. Common and widespread.
96. Little Owl Athene noctua bactriana. 1, May 25, hill near Kokpek ; a very pale bird.
97. Long-eared Owl Asio otus. 1, May 28, between Sorbolak and Abijol ; 6 big youngs (not flying birds), May 30, near Karabastau.
98. Short-eared Owl Asio flammeus. 3, May 30, along the road to Aksuiek ; 5, June 3, and 2 (1 in song), June 4, between Astana and Noura bridge ; 1, June 5, between Astana and Dansa.
99. European Nightjar Caprimulgus europaeus. 3 (my first birds in Kazakhstan !), May 25, Almaty airport (2:30 a.m.) ; 1, May 26, Bartoghai lake ; 1, May 28, Kanshengel camp.
100. Alpine Swift Apus melba. 1, May 26, Sharyn gorges.
101. European Black Swift Apus apus. 3/4, May 25, between Shilik and Borandyasu.
102. Kingfisher Alcedo atthis. 1, May 28, spring near Kanshengel.
103. European Bee-eater Merops apiaster. Some, May 25, between Shilik and Borandyasu ; 4, June 3, between Astana and Noura bridge.
104. European Roller Coracias garrulus semenovi. Common and widespread near Almaty.
105. Hoopoe Upupa epops. Common and widespread near Almaty.
106. White-winged Woodpecker Dendrocopos leucopterus. Only in the Turanga forest near Topar ; 2 pairs at nest May 29.
107. Calandra Lark Melanocorypha calandra. Widespread in Kanshengel and Sorbolak area.
108. Bimaculated Lark Melanocorypha bimaculata. Some, May 28 and 29, Kanshengel camp ; numerous, May 30, road to Aksuiek ; widespread between Astana and Kurgalzhino.
109. White-winged Lark Melanocorypha leucoptera. Seen in small number only between Astana and Kurgalzhino, June 3.
110. Black Lark Melanocorypha yeltoniensis. Abundant between Astana and Kurgalzhino. 2/3, June 5, just north of Astana on the road to Dansa.
111. Short-toed Lark Calandrella brachydactyla longipennis. Common, May 27, near Shilik ; 1, June 4, between Astana and Noura bridge.
112. Lesser Short-toed Lark Calandrella rufescens. Common, May 27, near Shilik ; some, May 28, Kanshengel camp.
113. Asian Short-toed Lark Calandrella cheleensis. Perhaps 1, May 25, near the artesian well near Shilik ; 1, May 28, Kanshengel camp.
114. Crested Lark Galerida cristata. May 25, near Almaty ; May 28, between Sorbolak and Abijol and near Abijol spring.
115. Skylark Alauda arvensis. Widespread.
116. Shore Lark Eremophila alpestris. 6, May 26, near Kokpek.
117. Sand Martin Riparia riparia. A large colony (c. 250 pairs), Noura bridge.
118. Pale Sand Martin Riparia (riparia) diluta. Small colony, May 25, between Shilik and Borandyasu.
119. Swallow Hirundo rustica. Widespread but not very common.
120. Red-rumped Swallow Hirundo daurica. Some, May 25, in the villages near Almaty ; 2, May 25, small hill near Kokpek ; 1, May 30, Almaty.
121. House Martin Delichon urbica. Rare; a small colony near the lake under observatory.
122. Yellow Wagtail Motacilla flava beema. Widespread near water. Numerous pairs feeding youngs at nest.
123. Citrine Wagtail Motacilla citreola calcarata. May 28, 2 males Sorbolak lake and 2 males spring near Abijol (1 caught by a Hobby !); 3, May 29, spring near Kanshengel.
124. Grey Wagtail Motacilla cinerea. 4, June 2, along the river between the lake and Almaty.
125. White Wagtail Motacilla alba. 1, May 29, spring near Kanshengel ; 1, June 4, Kurgalzhino village.
126. Masked Wagtail Motacilla alba personata. Some, May 25, villages near Almaty ; 1, May 27, Kokpek Pass; 1, June 2, lake under the observatory.
127. Tawny Pipit Anthus campestris griseus. Widespread. Pair feeding youngs at nest, June 3, between Astana and Noura bridge.
128. Tree Pipit Anthus trivialis. Only near the observatory.
129. Water Pipit Anthus spinoletta blakistoni. Only in mountain (observatory and meteo station).
130. Isabelline Shrike Lanius isabellinus speculigerus. Common near Almaty. 2 nests with eggs near Kokpek May 25 and 26.
131. Long-tailed Shrike Lanius schach erythronotus. 1, May 5, in a village Shilik and Borandyasu.
132. Lesser Grey Shrike Lanius minor turanicus. Common, May 25, along the A2 road, NE Almaty ; some, May 28, between Almaty and Sorbolak ; 5 (together), June 4, between Astana and Noura bridge.
133. Steppe Grey Shrike Lanius meridionalis pallidirostris. 2, May 27, artesian well near Shilik ; 1, June 4, between Astana and Noura bridge.
134. Brown Dipper Cinclus pallasii tenuirostris. Pair, June 2, river south of Almaty (road to the observatory).
135. Winter Wren Troglodytes troglodytes dauricus. Only in the forest around and under the observatory.
136. Altai Accentor Prunella himalayana. c. 6, May 31, meteo station above the observatory (alt. 3300 m).
137. Brown Accentor Prunella fulvescens. Only around the observatory where the are some birds in song every day.
138. Black-throated Accentor Prunella atrogularis huttoni. Common near the observatory.
139. Rock Thrush Monticola saxatilis. Male, May 26, near Kokpek.
140. Blue Whistling Thrush Myophonus caeruleus temminckii. Pair at nest, May 30, road to the observatory ; another bird on the same road, June 2.
141. Blackbird Turdus merula. 1, June 2, in the forest under the observatory.
142. Black-throated Thrush Turdus ruficollis atrogularis. Male and female (not together), May 28, spring near Abijol.
143. Fieldfare Turdus pilaris. 2, June 5, forest south of Dansa.
144. Mistle Thrush Turdus viscivorus bonapartei. Some, near the lake under the observatory.
145. White-tailed Rubythroat Luscinia pectoralis. Common around the observatory.
146. Nightingale Luscinia megarhynchos hafizi. 1, May 25, near Kokpek (small river) ; 2 in song, May 29, Topar cemetery ; at least 2 in song, June 5, forest south of Dansa.
147. Bluethroat Luscinia svecica. 1, May 26, near Kokpek ; at least 2 in song, June 4, Noura bridge.
148. Rufous Scrub-Robin Cercotrichas galactotes. Pair, May 30, waddi on the road to Aksuiek.
149. Eversmann's Redstart Phoenicurus erythronotus. Only in the forest under the observatory.
150. Blue-capped Redstart Phoenicurus coeruleocephalus. Seen every day in the forest under the observatory.
151. Güldenstädt's Redstart Phoenicurus erythrogaster grandis. Pair, May 31, meteo station above the observatory (alt 3300 m).
152. Siberian Chat Saxicola maura. Pair, May 26, above the Sharyn gorges ; 3 pairs, June 4, between Astana and Noura bridge.
153. Wheatear Oenanthe oenanthe. 2 males, May 31, near the observatory ; common between Astana and Kurgalzhino (pair feeding juv. Out of the nest, June 4).
154. Pied Wheatear Oenanthe pleschanka. Widespread and common in Kokpek area.
155. Desert Wheatear Oenanthe deserti atrogularis. Male, May 27, artesian well near Shilik ; pair, May 28, between Sorbolak and Abijol.
156. Isabelline Wheatear Oenanthe isabellina. Abundant near Kokpek and Bartoghai lake ; some, May 30, spring near Kanshengel where a juv. climbs on my foot !!!
157. Cetti's Warbler Cettia cetti. 1, May 29, river near Topar ; 2, June 3, near Noura bridge ; 1, June 5, near the forest south of Dansa.
158. Lanceolated Warbler Locustella lanceolata. One in song, June 3, small lake between Astana and Noura bridge.
159. Grasshopper Warbler Locustella naevia. One in song, May 26, near the Sharyn gorges.
160. Sedge Warbler Acrocephalus schoenobaenus. One in song, June 3, Noura bridge.
161. Paddyfield Warbler Acrocephalus agricola. 2, May 28, spring near Abijol ; 1, May 30, spring near Kanshengel ; some, June 3, between Astana and Noura bridge.
162. Reed Warbler Acrocephalus scirpaceus fuscus. 6/7, May 28, spring near Abijol ; some, May 28 and 30, spring near Kanshengel.
163. Blyth's Reed-Warbler Acrocephalus dumetorum. Common migrant in Kanshengel area (> 200, May 30, spring near Kanshengel) ; common, June 3 and 4, between Astana and Noura bridge ; 1, June 5, forest south of Dansa.
164. Great Reed Warbler Acrocephalus arundinaceus zarudnyi. 2, May 28, spring near Abijol ; 1, May 28, spring near Kanshengel ; 1, June 3, between Astana and Noura bridge ; 2, June 4, Kurgalzhino lake.
165. Booted Warbler Hippolais caligata annectens. Common in the steppe between Astana and Kurgalzhino.
166. Sykes' Warbler Hippolais rama. Some, May 25 and 27, artesian well near Shilik ; 1, May 28, spring near Kanshengel.
167. Siberian Chiffchaff Phylloscopus collybita tristis. 2 in song, June 5, forest south of Dansa.
168. Sulphur-bellied Warbler Phylloscopus griseolus. Only around the observatory where a pair is building a nest, June 1.
169. Yellow-browed Warbler Phylloscopus inornatus. 2, May 28, spring near Kanshengel.
170. Hume's Warbler Phylloscopus humei. Abundant in Almaty area. Not seen near Astana.
171. Arctic Warbler Phylloscopus borealis. 1, May 28, spring near Kanshengel.
172. Greenish Warbler Phylloscopus trochiloides viridanus. Widespread (sometimes common) in Almaty area. Not seen near Astana.
173. Whitethroat Sylvia communis. Widespread but not common.
174. Lesser Whitethroat Sylvia curruca. Nest with eggs, May 29, Topar cemetery ; 1, May 30, spring near Kanshengel ; 1, June 4, Kurgalzhino village.
175. Hume's Lesser Whitethroat Sylvia althaea. 1 in song, May 27, under the Kokpek Pass.
176. Desert Warbler Sylvia nana. 1 in a waddi, May 30, road to Aksuiek.
177. Barred Warbler Sylvia nisoria. 1, May 26, near Kokpek ; 3, May 28, spring near Abijol ; 1 in song, June 4, Noura bridge.
178. White-browed Tit-Warbler Leptopoecile sophiae major. Pair building nest, May 31 and June 1, just above the observatory.
179. Goldcrest Regulus regulus. Only in the forest under the observatory.
180. Spotted Flycatcher Muscicapa striata. Numerous migrants at the springs near Kanshengel and Abijol.
181. White-crowned Penduline-Tit Remiz coronatus. Pair at nest, May 25, near the road A2, North-East Almaty.
182. Songar Tit Parus songarus songarus. Common in the forest between the observatory and Almaty.
183. Coal Tit Parus ater rufipectus. Common in the forest between the observatory and Almaty.
184. Great Tit Parus major. Pair feeding at nest, May 25, Almaty ; 1, June 5, Astana.
185. Turkestan Tit Parus bokharensis turkestanicus. c. 20, May 29, Turanga forest near Topar.
186. Azure Tit Parus cyanus. May 29, pair at nest, Turanga forest and 2 near the river, near Topar.
187. Eastern Rock Nuthatch Sitta tephronata. Pair at nest in a small gorge near Karabastau, May 30.
188. Treecreeper Certhia familiaris. Pair building nest, June 1, forest under the observatory.
189. Magpie Pica pica. Common. Also in mountain (2 pairs near the observatory).
190. Nutcracker Nucifraga caryocatactes. Only June 2, forest under the observatory.
191. Chough Pyrrhocorax pyrrhocorax centralis. 2 pairs (nest under roofs), meteo station, May 31.
193. Eastern Jackdaw Corvus monedula sommerringii. This birds are very different from sommerringii from Greece or Crete. Common everywhere.
194. Rook Corvus frugilegus. Common everywhere. Some rookeries seen.
195. Carrion Crow Corvus corone orientalis. Very common in Almaty area, also in mountain above the observatory. 2, June 3, just after the Astana exit on the road to Kurgalzhino.
196. Hooded Crow Corvus cornix cornix. Widespread in Astana area.
197. Common Raven Corvus corax tibetanus. 1, May 27, Bartoghai lake ; 1, May 31, observatory.
198. Golden Oriole Oriolus oriolus. 2, May 25, between Shilik and Borandyasu ; 2, May 30, spring near Kanshengel ; 2, June 4, between Astana and Noura bridge.
199. Rose-coloured Starling Sturnus roseus. Common in Almaty area (a very large colony at Sorbolak lake: c. 10 000 pairs).
200. Starling Sturnus vulgaris poltaratskyi. Some, May 25, Almaty town ; some, May 25, villages near Almaty ; some, May 29, between Kanshengel and Topar ; some, June 5, Astana town ; numerous, June 5, Astana rubbish dump.
201. Common Myna Acridotheres tristis. Common in Almaty area ; pulli at nest at the observatory.
202. Saxaul Sparrow Passer ammodendri. c. 6, May 29, Topar cemetery ; c. 18 (some at nest), May 29, Turanga forest near Topar.
203. House Sparrow Passer domesticus. Common and widespread.
204. Indian House Sparrow Passer domesticus indicus. Small colony in old nest of Pale Sand Martins, May 25, between Shilik and Borandyasu ; some, May 27, under the Kokpek Pass.
205. Spanish Sparrow Passer hispaniolensis transcaspicus. Some, May 27, artesian wall near Shilik ; some, May 30, south of Karabastau.
206. Tree Sparrow Passer montanus. Some, May 25, in the village near Almaty ; numerous, June 3, between Astana and Noura bridge (nests with pulli under the bridge).
207. Rock Sparrow Petronia petronia. 1, May 26, small hill near Kokpek.
208. Red-fronted Serin Serinus pusillus. Common around the observatory.
209. Greenfinch Carduelis chloris turkestanika. 4, May 25, in front of the hotel in Almaty.
210. Grey-crowned Goldfinch Carduelis (carduelis) caniceps. Only in the forest under the observatory.
211. Crossbill Loxia curvirostra. 1, June 4, Kurgalzhino village.
212. Desert Finch Rhodopechys obsoleta. Abundant in the steppe around Shilik.
213. Common Rosefinch Carpodacus erythrinus. Widespread ; abundant between Astana and Noura bridge.
214. Red-mantled Rosefinch Carpodacus rhodochlamys. Common around the observatory.
215. Hodgson's Mountain-Finch Leucosticte nemoricola altaica. Some, May 31, around the meteo station.
216. Brandt's Mountain-Finch Leucosticte brandti. c. 140 flying together, May 31, between the meteo station and the observatory.
217. White-winged Grosbeak Mycerobas carnipes. Common around the observatory.
218. Pine Bunting Emberiza leucocephalos. Common around the forest south of Dansa, June 5.
219. Rock Bunting Emberiza cia. 1, May 25, under Kokpek Pass ; 1, June 2, in the valley between observatory and Almaty.
220. White-capped Bunting Emberiza stewarti. Male in song, May 25, under Kokpek Pass ; 2 males in song, May 27, another site under Kokpek Pass.
221. Ortolan Bunting Emberiza hortulana. Male, May 29, Topar cemetery.
222. Grey-necked Bunting Emberiza buchanani neobscura. Common in Kokpek area ; 2, May 30, small gorges near Karabastau.
223. Reed Bunting Emberiza schoeniclus pyrrhuloides. Males, June 3, between Astana and Noura bridge ; June 5, between Astana and Dansa ; June 5, Dansa lake.
224. Red-headed Bunting Emberiza bruniceps. Common and widespread in Almaty area.
225. Corn Bunting Miliaria calandra. 3 in song, May 28, Sorbolak lake.